LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJHerskowitz

Give Control a Property to Disable Window Shift on Mouse Wheel Scroll

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When scrolling over a text box using the mouse wheel, the window will not shift up or down. However, scrolling over other controls for example a graph it will shift the window up or down. This limits the functionality of the mouse wheel over these controls. It would be nice to have a property associated with each control to disable window shifting when scrolling over the control.

Also and this might be another suggestion, but a Mouse Wheel? event could also be helpful. That or combine it with Mouse Down? event.

8 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This feature already exists. If you do not want the string control to take the mouse wheel event, hide the scrollbar on that control. Giving the mouse wheel event to the string control when it has a scrollbar is consistent with every browser and other platform/application that we observed when designing the feature.

Please file the request for Mouse Wheel? as a separate idea.

LJHerskowitz

I guess I was unclear. I don't want to take away that function from the string. I do not want the window to shift up or down when I use the scroll wheel on other controls for example XYGraph.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Ah. I see. You are correct -- *that* functionality is not in LabVIEW today.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I guess I was unclear. I don't want to take away that function from the string. I do not want the window to shift up or down when I use the scroll wheel on other controls for example XYGraph.

Do you mean this during the Edit mode or Run mode?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
muks
Proven Zealot

Ah i would say a good find.

LJHerskowitz

I didn't think if this would work better as an edit mode property or something you can change with say a property node. I guess it would come down to how it works under the hood.

Christina_R
Active Participant

If a control handles the mouse wheel natively, then the panel does not "receive" the event and does not scroll.

In the case of graphs, you can set the graph's BuiltInMouseWheelSupport property to On Hover and then the wheel over the graph will not scroll the panel. The graph doesn't have built-in mouse wheel behavior, so this property doesn't make it behave any differently. 

Of course, this is not a complete solution, because if the control did have built-in mouse wheel behavior, then that might not be desireable.

Another "workaround" is to design panels that do not scroll, but use some form of progressive disclosure (e.g. a tab control). In many cases, I find such layouts to be easier to use than scrolling panels.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.