LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
TCPlomp

Get or Set Variant attribute should not be polymorphic

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

The Get and Set Variant attribute functions are polymorphic on the 'variant' input terminal.

Why?

What do you expect of the following code:

Example_VI_BD.png

I think allowing this is a bad technique in a 'early typed' language like LabVIEW.

Or am I missing something?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
4 Comments
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Wel Set might be polymorphic.

But Get?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
My LabVIEW Ideas

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The terminal is NOT polymorphic.  And it is behaving exactly correctly.

This node takes a variant as an input. You wired something not a variant, so you get a coercion dot. LabVIEW will happily create a variant for you from the given data. It does that for any terminal that is variant type.

(Note: If the node were polymorphic, there wouldn't be a coercion dot because the node would be converting over to whatever version of itself accepts a boolean.)

Message Edited by Aristos Queue on 01-04-2010 05:33 PM
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Point taken!

this idea can be rejected.

Ton

My LabVIEW Ideas

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.