From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Lars-Goran

Front panel grid in front of everything

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

I would like an option FPGridInFront=TRUE/FALSE.

When working on a GUI and positioning objects, it would sometimes be helpful to have the grid in front.

E.g you might want to place controls or indicators within the boundaries of a chart indicator. In that case it may be helpful to see the grid overlaid on the chart indicator.

And then it would also be nice to be able to set the color (or only lightness) of the grid lines.

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You can set the lightness of the grid lines. It's been in Tools >> Options since LV 7.0.

CMal
Active Participant

AQ: I don't think that addresses the reason for this idea.  Lars-Goran wants the grid to appear on top of controls and indicators, which is unrelated to the darkness of the grid lines.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

CMal, the OP added the setting the lightness of the grid lines at the end of the idea.  AristosQueue was just pointing out that that part of the idea has been done for a very long time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
CMal
Active Participant

Thanks.  I didn't catch that part.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I understand the use case, but I wonder whether having a better information on where each object is located (bounding box coordinates withing the FP reference system and/or screen) would not be just as helpful and avoid clutering the display.

Right now, the info we get when selecting or resizing an objet is minimal (delta(x,y) or size_x, size_y) and is sometimes hard to find on a busy screen.

Having a detailed set of coordinates in the Context Help (Edit mode obviously) of each object might be a better solution...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.