LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChandler

Free Copy of LabVIEW For Accepted Idea

The Idea Exchange was created to give users direct access to R&D and Marketing to make suggestions and then vote amongst themselves which they thought were the most important. There have been tons of great ideas and we have even implemented some of them into our outgoing products. We do recognize those users whose idea does spark R&D development on a new feature by listing the new feature and their name in the LabVIEW Help documentation of the releasing version that has their inspired feature. This is all done in the spirit of a beneficial community and introducing such a large reward ($4300) for accepted ideas could potentially led to legal battles around duplicate and similarly worded but different posts. To maintain the sense of community and still maintain this great avenue of user feedback, we will not offer a copy of LabVIEW for an accepted idea.

I propose that NI award anyone who posts an idea (especially this one) which is eventually accepted receive a free copy of the LabVIEW Developer Suite as an award for their creativity.

Should help find duplicates!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

15 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Well said G-Money.

A framed certificate. I like that one (Altenbach's idea above).

Richard

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We could write their names or user icons on the LV splash screen in the version where their idea first appears. We had a special LAVA splash screen for LV 8.2 (accessible by enabling a config token). Might have some of the same contraversy of "which idea was first, vs which was the duplicate", but since no money is involved, I'd be a lot more comfortable going with "NI's judgement call, no arguments."

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

As the poster of this idea I still think it is a good one but now agree that it would probably never work. As I said above I would really prefer Altenbach's free hobbyist version of LabVIEW idea over this one. I can see the can of worms that my idea would open. Nobody on the idea exchange would like anyone else on the idea exchange and it would be full of stupid ideas.

Some kind of recognition would be good but the human aspects have to be addressed. Even a framed certificate might be enough that ideas would be posted just for the bragging rights that would come with it.

So because of these considerations maybe there should not be kudos for ideas on the exchange? Just a "vote" button and the number of votes would be known only to NI. Smiley Surprised Noo!! I am not going to post that as a separate idea unless there is some good feedback suggesting that I do so.

The algorithm for "hot ideas" could remain the same but the number of kudos votes would remain a mystery along with who voted for the idea. Maybe that information could be released once a decision is made.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
The Idea Exchange was created to give users direct access to R&D and Marketing to make suggestions and then vote amongst themselves which they thought were the most important. There have been tons of great ideas and we have even implemented some of them into our outgoing products. We do recognize those users whose idea does spark R&D development on a new feature by listing the new feature and their name in the LabVIEW Help documentation of the releasing version that has their inspired feature. This is all done in the spirit of a beneficial community and introducing such a large reward ($4300) for accepted ideas could potentially led to legal battles around duplicate and similarly worded but different posts. To maintain the sense of community and still maintain this great avenue of user feedback, we will not offer a copy of LabVIEW for an accepted idea.
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

G-Money, I am the originator of this idea. The idea discussions are great. Because of the excellent questions raised by several people I no longer think it is a good idea and fully understand and accept it being declined.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012