LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thoric

Force Recompile option in Mass Compile

LabVIEW is awesome. But sometimes things don't go quite right, and when something isn't quite right somewhere (maybe a bad bit of binary) it would be great to be able to recompile your code. Mass Compile is great for upcompiling from older major versions, but will ignore VIs that are already compiled in the current version. What I'd like to see is a "Force Recompile" flag in Mass Compile to ensure all identified VIs are most definitely recompiled, especially useful when you call Mass Compile from the shortcut menu in Project view.

Yes, it could take some time, but less time than scripting it and you can use the time to make yourself a nice cup of hot British tea.

forcerecompile.png

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

25 Comments
Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)

A caveat on that INI token - it does not keep track of which files have been recompiled, it will recompile every dependency that it hits...every time, so for complex projects it will potentially take a very long time to execute and will recompile common dependencies many times.

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

So Richard, massCompAll published through the mass comp dialog, with a bit of intelligence added (to avoid mass compiling the same components over and) over as you suggested, would be the feature you are asking for here, right? That should be feasible 🙂

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast
Hi Steen, Yup, an intelligent implementation that recompiles everything just the once, where possible, makes sense. Starting from the bottom up? Richard
Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Andi_S

Here is my suggestion:

MassCompile.jpg

sbus

I too thing that exposing the labview.ini "massCompAll=True" functionality via an option to mass compile as Thoric suggested is a good idea. There are times where due to corruption (which everyone KNOWS never happens in LabVIEW) this may fix an otherwise hard to correct problem. It also can expose times where a LabVIEW change required a recompile but the release didn't tell us to do it.

The functionality is ALREADY IMPLEMENTED (as the labview.ini flag) so adding the checkbox to mass compile to cause that action should be trivial. I vote to have this implemented.

And I also was unaware that mass compile didn't force recompile of all vi's in the directory; too my thinking that means that the LabVIEW documentation for mass compile also needs to be rewritten.

It also would be nice that, if the 'force recompile' option is selected (either in labview.ini OR as a checkbox option) that in the mass compile log it would tell us whether the recompile was required, or forced, for each vi... maybe preceding each vi name in the log with (F) or (R) in the log...