cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
paul_cardinale

Fix the Horrendous Licensing/Activation issues in LabVIEW 2018

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's post:

"Paul: I flagged Licensing about your post, but many in R&D are already on Christmas vacation, so it may be a while. I don't have any help to offer myself. I recommend you contact NI support... an NI application engineer may be able to help you figure out why LV is doing this to you. I don't think this is a systemic problem -- if it were common, I'd expect customers to be banging down our doors to fix it.

Because this sounds like a bug and not a feature request (I assure you, entering license info on every launch is NOT a feature!), I'm going to close out this idea on the Idea Exchange. The Licensing folks will still be able to reply even after the idea is declined."

This has been a problem since LV 2018 beta.  LabVIEW deactivates for no apparent reason; and it's gotten worse and worse as the year has progressed.  I now must reactivate LabVIEW every time I start it (your product support seems to be clueless).

My idea is that you design a Licensing/Activation system that behaves in a sane manner.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

My first thought is that you have software that is changing something in the PC, most likely the MAC address.  At a company I used to work at, we had VPN software for a customer that changed the MAC address every time the PC was rebooted and then none of our NI software was activated due to the CPU ID changing.  The solution was to add an entry in the registry to make the license manager only look at the harddrive serial number when determining the CPU ID.

The other solution is to use a Volume License Manager so that your licenses are managed on a server instead of a local license based on the CPU ID.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
paul_cardinale
Trusted Enthusiast
crossrulz
   wrote:

My first thought is that you have software that is changing something in the PC, most likely the MAC address.  At a company I used to work at, we had VPN software for a customer that changed the MAC address every time the PC was rebooted and then none of our NI software was activated due to the CPU ID changing.  The solution was to add an entry in the registry to make the license manager only look at the harddrive serial number when determining the CPU ID.

The other solution is to use a Volume License Manager so that your licenses are managed on a server instead of a local license based on the CPU ID.

That seems unlikely as LV 2017 still works OK.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Paul: I flagged Licensing about your post, but many in R&D are already on Christmas vacation, so it may be a while. I don't have any help to offer myself. I recommend you contact NI support... an NI application engineer may be able to help you figure out why LV is doing this to you. I don't think this is a systemic problem -- if it were common, I'd expect customers to be banging down our doors to fix it.

Because this sounds like a bug and not a feature request (I assure you, entering license info on every launch is NOT a feature!), I'm going to close out this idea on the Idea Exchange. The Licensing folks will still be able to reply even after the idea is declined.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's post:

"Paul: I flagged Licensing about your post, but many in R&D are already on Christmas vacation, so it may be a while. I don't have any help to offer myself. I recommend you contact NI support... an NI application engineer may be able to help you figure out why LV is doing this to you. I don't think this is a systemic problem -- if it were common, I'd expect customers to be banging down our doors to fix it.

Because this sounds like a bug and not a feature request (I assure you, entering license info on every launch is NOT a feature!), I'm going to close out this idea on the Idea Exchange. The Licensing folks will still be able to reply even after the idea is declined."