cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
TroyK

File path control - New or existing - select read-only file

Fixed in LabVIEW 2012

In Windows XP, if I used a file path control set to "new or existing" it would let me select a read only file.

In Windows 7 I get a prompt telling me "This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different filename".

I want to be able to select a read-only file (as they often are when in source control) but also have the ability to specify a new filename so a new file will be created.

I'm happy to write the code to actually create the new file, just let me select a read-only file if it is existing!

To summarize my idea: Let us select a read-only file even if the browse option is set to "New or existing".

Maybe add an extra checkbox to the browse options dialog to "allow read-only file selection' so that backward compatibility is maintained.

select read-only files.png

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
8 Comments
PNR

This sounds like a bug to me... I did never realize that behavior, but even if the file is read-only, it still exists and it should be possible to select it with the current options. What if I just want to open the file in read-only mode? There should be an error once you try to open the file in write-only or read-write access.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I cannot replicate this complaint. If you use "New or Existing", it let's you pick read-only files just fine. That message only appears if you set your file path control to "New". Are you sure you didn't pick "New" by mistake? If you pick "New", it won't let you choose a read-only file because the file cannot be deleted.

TroyK
Active Participant

I'm using LabVIEW 2011SP1.

Perhaps I should have checked newer versions of LabVIEW.

Has this already been fixed?

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Ah. I did replicate in LV2011. It is fixed in LV2012SP1 (might be fixed in 2012... I didn't check that).

TroyK
Active Participant

I'm getting more and more reasons to upgrade.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I'm getting more and more reasons to upgrade.

We wouldn't be doing our jobs if there weren't *some* reason to upgrade ... I just wish it was for a better reason than we screwed up in the first place. I hope you'll find enough happy-making features in 2013 to make up for it.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented
Fixed in LabVIEW 2012
TroyK
Active Participant

To be honest I have been itching to upgrade to LabVIEW 2013. You have been doing your jobs well! Smiley Happy

It's just disruptive for my users to get them to install a new runtime to upgrade to the latest software.

That's why I hesitate. The packaged installer is over a GIG!