LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoBuettner

F2 vs. Tools->Edit Text

It would be nice to have the F2-function in LabVIEW (mark element and press F2 to edit text).

So you don't have to step through the Tools-Palette.

8 Comments
Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

Turn automatic tool selection back on and all yu have to do is double click on the text.

MarcoBuettner

Yes, but I'm old school and a keyboard worker: 🙂

Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

It just strikes me a bit funny that you would choose to use a slower way to select tools and then request a change to make it faster.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

This goes way beyond autotool vs not.  Select a wire -> F2 -> Type your label.  Ctrl-Drag a control/terminal -> F2 -> Edit the label.  Create Constant -> F2 -> Give it a label.

dthor
Active Participant

I agree with Darin.K. I use the autotool, but I still think that F2 would be a great addition, especially for ctrl-drag as the new item is already selected for you and one hand is already on the keyboard (from pressing ctrl).

Karsten_Dallmeyer

Using only F2 to edit marked text labels is windows standard behaviour. So labVIEW should behave like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) / CLA / MCTS
Wart

Maybe we should pull the idea of using F2 for Controls / Constants / Indicators out as another idea.

BDIdea.png

FPIdea.png

Petru_Tarabuta

+1. F2 is one of my most used keyboard shortcuts in Windows. I probably use it an average of 30 times per day. I would probably use it as often, or more, in LabVIEW too.

The following is one way of implementing the F2 functionality for different scenarios:

• If a single front panel element (control or indicator) is selected and the element's label is visible, then the whole label text would be selected when F2 is pressed. This is as per the design posted by Wart above.
  • If a single front panel element is selected, and the element's caption is visible but label is invisible, then the whole caption text would be selected when F2 is pressed.
  • If a single front panel element is selected, and the element's both label and caption are visible, then the whole label text would be selected when F2 is pressed. This specifies that the label has precedence over the caption.
  • If a single front panel element is selected, and neither the element's label or caption are visible, then, if the element is a Boolean (Button or LED) with Boolean Text visible, then the whole Boolean Text would be selected when F2 is pressed. In the screenshot posted by MarcoBuettner in the original idea Boolean Text "Trends" would be selected.
  • If a single block diagram terminal or constant is selected, and that terminal or constant's label is visible, then the whole label text would be selected when F2 is pressed. This would ease the renaming of controls/indicators from both the front panel and the block diagram.
  • If a single block diagram wire is selected and that wire has a visible wire label, then the whole label text would be selected when F2 is pressed.
  • If a single block diagram wire is selected and that wire does not have a wire label, then the cursor would be placed inside the wire, ready for the user to type a label when F2 is pressed.
  • Pressing F2 would not perform any action in all other cases. For example, pressing F2 would do nothing if multiple elements are selected on the Front Panel.