From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTSLVU

Expanding a block diagram should only affect the case that is shown

When I Control+Right click and drag to expand a block diagram. The expansion should NOT effect all of the unseen case frames

I am really tired of stuff like this happening when I expand the diagram of another frame of the same case horizontally and vertically.

This "Short cut" actually creates a lot more work for me as now I have to go back and clean up all the other states in my state machine that are messy now.

CaseCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
12 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I did some digging on this. LabVIEW NXG chose to do the feature the way you're describing. There appear to be pros/cons to both depending upon the particular code being edited. I've asked the two UI teams to chat about which one is really preferable. I don't know if anything will come of it, but thank you for suggesting it. Speaking only for myself, I think the NXG behavior is nicer... I hadn't noticed before that it is different.

RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

So NXG does not do this? 

I haven't even tried NXG yet. Last time I looked there was no support for any of my instruments. I don't have time to start writing "drivers" from scratch using SCPI commands for a rack full of equipment. 

Frankly I don't see a down side of NOT stretching the wires and moving things on all the other Cases. They should just expand the hidden cases in the same direction. BUT leave all the code alone and just grow the Case, like when you have Auto Grow enabled. Say you auto grow grows a case to the right, all of the unseen cases are grown, but all of the code is left clumped to the left of the case. 

It's a hell of a lot less work to select all of your code and recenter it in the case than it is to clean up after a Control+Drag stretches and moves stuff all over

========================
========================
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I like this idea also.  But a question I feel needs to be asked is what should the behavior be with the reverse operation where you do a drag-shrink?  That one would have to affect all cases since it would need to move the structure border in.  But the affect in all cases is even more undesirable than the stretch situation since it would become harder to untangle inter-meshed nodes.

donkdonk

Yes, I like the idea

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast
 >> "So NXG does not do this?"

>> "LabVIEW NXG chose to do the feature the way you're describing."

AQ says NXG has the feature already implemented (working) in the way you expect.
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Manzolli
Active Participant

Sometimes we want to fit something between other stuff that need to be enlarged in all cases, mostly when are connections to terminals in the border of the structure. In this cases may be better have all code in all cases moved. On the other hand, at least for me, normally the best behavior is the idea proposed here. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Maybe the resize option should pop up a question if the resize is for all or just the current frame?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
paul_cardinale
Trusted Enthusiast

Noooooo.  You've got way too much white space in there already.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

Too much white space?

What does that even mean?

How can you even say that without seeing all of the code?

========================
========================
paul_cardinale
Trusted Enthusiast

Really?  Is it that you don't know what "too much" means, or you don't know what "white space" means.

I can say that because what I can see has way too much white space.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."