cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Expand Event structure functionality: priority for events

Available in LabVIEW 2013

Hello everybody,

(as suggested I will separate my idea Expand the functionality of Event structures into four seperate ideas to allow giving kudos separately.)

It should be possible to configure events to run first (placing the fired event as the next event to execute like the queue function "Enqueue Element At Opposite End"). Or add priority to events.

Regards,

Marc

CLD
9 Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
I'd prefer the priority rather than the static placing of items in the event queue - then LabVIEW can take of the rest.  Of course, by default, all event should have the same priority.  Would you want to group priorities (eg: the priority list be an enum of "critical", "normal", "low", etc) or just an integer with highest priority = lowest number?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Marc Blumentritt
I would go with just an integer like timed loops. Perhaps it would be reasonable to add same logic of timed loops to control this and other features of evet structures: leftside inputs for default values, dynamic registration, error in, name of structure, etc. and some special VIs to control the structure (similar to "Stop timed loop" and the timing control VIs).
CLD
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Interesting... Kudos! I can see power in this....
Spectre_Dave
Active Participant
I like the Priority system with the ability to discard lower priority events
Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
DsouzaAbel

Hey Guys... I was looking at this in labview 2013. Here we have 2 priorities (High & normal) while generating user events. Now this is good but what if the event is being generated externally (like in a dll outside of the labview application). I have a dll which send huge number of events to my labview application using the "PostLVUserEvent" method. Here i cannot specify a priority.

Hence if i have a lot of low priority events and one event that i want the labview application to receive and handle immediately, what do i do?

Any pointers....?

With Best Regards,

Abel.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> PostLVUserEvent

I've never heard of this. Where is it documented?

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed
Available in LabVIEW 2013
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

@Aristos Queue wrote:

> PostLVUserEvent

I've never heard of this. Where is it documented?

I don't know if this appears in the official documentation (although it might), but there are certainly some examples posted on this site (by NI) for how to use this function to send events into LV from another environment. It wouldn't shock me to learn that the overhaul of events missed this, as it seems like the unloved child of the family. I don't currently have a need for this myself (I've only actually used this function in one place), but it seems like for symmetry it should exist. Maybe it already does with a renamed version of that function?

Abel, if this doesn't exist under another name, I would consider having a mediator function. That would mean that you would have to build a DLL of your own which would include the extra parameter, including exporting the definition for the typedef, and then on a call to that VI use the inputs to trigger the event yourself. I haven't done this, but it seems like it should work.

Tst: Thanks for the info. I'll pass the request along to the people who work on events.