From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Dude_Man

Execution Speed

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

I am finding labview execution speed to be extremely slow.  I seem to recall documentation indicating that labview passes all data/variables by value by default.  I think that if labview would default to passing data/variables by reference instead of by value, then execution speeds would greatly improve.  Is there an option that would allow one to change this?

4 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

This is the LabVIEW Idea Exchange which is for proposing new ideas for improving LabVIEW.  Are you suggesting a new idea for LabVIEW?

Your's sounds like and ordinary LabVIEW question that should be posted in the LabVIEW board.

If you are having problems with execution speed, then it is probably caused by something you are doing rather than LabVIEW.  Please post your question in the LabVIEW board.  Also provide some information.  How slow is "extremely slow"?  What are you trying to do?  Post your VI.

Dude_Man

My suggestion is for Labview to pass data/variables by reference instead of by value.  I think this would improve execution speeds.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> My suggestion is for Labview to pass data/variables by reference instead of by value.  I think this would improve execution speeds.

LabVIEW does pass things by reference whenever such is possible. The compiler hides all the reference work behind the scenes. The "by value" aspect is how things work from the programmer perspective, not how they work under the hood.

If you are having performance problems, I recommend posting your code to the forums if you can to see if someone is willing to review it. You might also opt to take one of the LV customer education courses -- there are a couple that might apply to your work, including this one that focuses specifically on performance optimizations.  Many users are able to write high speed applications with LabVIEW for a wide range of tasks -- the fundamental architecture of LV is rarely the issue when a VI is performing slowly.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.