LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_W

Exe without the runtime engine

If I'm the first to post this Idea then I'll be shocked.

The Idea is simple. We all love programming in LabVIEW, and I'm sure that we've all at one time or another had a colleague, friend or family member ask if we know how to do something on the PC. The immediate thought is I don't know where to get the software to do that, but I could write a simple LabVIEW app  in a few hours that does the job.

E.G hunt through someone's PC and move all of the jpg files over a certain size to a specific location so they can easily find their holiday snaps.

You can't create this simple function for them, because if you do, and build an exe, they still need the Runtime engine.

Surely for REALLY simple stuff (File IO, basic comms stuff in the Base LabVIEW edition ...) - not DAQ or anything like that it is possible to create an EXE that INCLUDES the runtime components that it needs and is stand alone.

This would open up LabVIEW for the use of making quick gadget like apps for the office as well as test and measurement.

I can't se how this could be a bad thing.

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
3 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
You're not the first... more like the third. Read through Ernie H's post, especially once altenbach suggests Build Spec: Standalone Executable. I like your anecdotal examples, and I really wish I could plop one of my little exe's on a USB and run it on any computer I sit down at.
Message Edited by JackDunaway on 03-25-2010 09:31 AM
maramosc

Completelly agree, one can create small self-contained executables with just about any other programming language, why not Labview?!

Darren
Proven Zealot