From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Every GUI Programmer's Dream...

Available in LabVIEW 2012

GUIProgrammerDream.png

...the ability to bulk-create References, Local Variables, Property Nodes...

24 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I presented this Idea with a pretty narrow mind.

More generically, if you highlight several terminals, you should be able to perform any action that is common to all: Change to Indicator/Control, Change to Constant, Hide/Show Control/Indicator, Find Instances (of typedef), Find Locals, View as Icon...

(And even more generically, if you highlight any group of objects on either the FP or BD, common actions should be available. A small step toward this was applied between 8.6.1 and 2009, which allowed you change common properties of objects in bulk. Proposed: right-click access to their methods in bulk... I think this request warrants a new Idea since it broadens the scope of this Idea too wide.)

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 05-06-2010 11:20 AM
gosaure

I wait for that since many years

lordsathish
Active Participant

This is a great idea. I have used a similar feature in TestStand. You can select multiple steps at a time, and change the common properties in one shot.

Similarly in LabVIEW when you right click after selecting multiple objects (in FP or BD) it should show all the common right click shortcut menu itelms. User should be able to select any of the menu items displayed.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Development

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@G-Money wrote:

Status changed to: In Development

Neat!

And just to re-iterate that the original idea was presented with a narrow mind, it would be awesome if the general case were solved - "More generically, if you highlight several terminals, you should be able to perform any action that is common to all"

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@G-Money wrote:

Status changed to: In Beta

Sweet!

Ancle

After create local variables or references, if right-click, does it can add a function>>change to write?

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> After create local variables or references, if right-click, does it can add a function>>change to write?

Maybe. You can join the beta to find out or wait until LV 2012 comes out in about 4 months.

As you can see in the comments, people suggested that you should be able to perform all common operations on the selected items, so it's certainly possible that NI did that.

Shouldn't this status be changed to completed?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉