From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
JW-JnJ

Enable shortcut plugins (right click) for the project window

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's reply

I would love to be able to develop a few right-click menus for the project window. I think it would enable some interesting additions like actor framework tools and other interesting project utilities.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The project window already has the ability for VIs to plug-in menu items. Indeed, that's how all the existing Actor Framework menu items are implemented. However, that environment is brittle, too easy for random plug-ins to bump into each other, so the developers made the decision to not include the ability to extend to users in general. If you are interested in extending the project environment, please use the LabVIEW Tools Network Developer forums and ask NI for information about extending the project. They can guide you through the process of writing a project plug-in that won't conflict, but it is very much a hand-holding process.

This response may inspire you to post a new idea to the Exchange, something like "NI should refactor the project environment to not be such a mess". 🙂 That idea would be declined as that is the reason for us creating the LabVIEW NXG platform, announced at NIWeek 2017. In time, that environment will be robust enough to support these kinds of extensions (it is already designed with the hooks in place, just no way for G to connect to them at this time).

Basically, it's a good idea, but I see virtually no chance of it happening for the current LabVIEW platform.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined for reasons listed in AristosQueue's reply

JW-JnJ
Active Participant

Ahh, I guess I'll submit the thing I was thinking about building as an idea.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken