From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Enable connection swapping even if only one terminal is connected.

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. The switcheroo tool now works on binary functions with only one input wired.

As mentioned in this comment, the ability to swap two inputs using the control key is a great feature! 🙂

However it is still a bit crippled and is missing a natural extension of the functionality:

It currently only works if both terminals are connected. The feature should be expanded so it also works if only one of the terminals is connected. It would swap the connection to the other terminal in this case.

7 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
I prefer my more general version - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Use-the-wiring-tool-to-swap-inputs-or-outputs-which-ha...

This is just a dummy post to plant the term "switcheroo" here for better ideas exchange search result quality. (I also added it as a tag)

iannicholson

I'm going to repost my comment from a duplicate idea here. It is technically also a duplicate of other ideas, but with implementation details that I think help flesh it out further.

A related idea I had is to use the scissor tool to allow you to move a wire that's already attached to a terminal. This could work even when there are more than two inputs on a node. Hold <CTRL>, and click-and-drag a wire currently connected to its original terminal to a new terminal.

• If the new terminal has no wire already attached, nothing else needs to be done.
  • If the new terminal is already wired, one of two things could happen:
    1. Swap the wire from the new terminal at the same time so it works somewhat like the scissors tool does now.
    2. Hold <ALT> or <SHIFT> (I haven't checked yet to see what key is still available) and it shifts all wires between the new and original terminals such that the closest one to the original moves to the original, and the others shift down.

With point #2, it may only make sense for some nodes (i.e. expandable nodes like the Concatenate Strings or Build Array, etc).

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I agree with this but also run into another use.  So this idea is to have swap work on a two terminal input, even if only one input is wired, which I want.  But I also want the switch tool to work on an N terminal input, if only two inputs are wired.  There have been plenty of times I've had a subVI with only two terminals wired but can't swap them with CTRL.  A more general swapping operation would be nicer but if NI is thinking about the easier solution of just improving the switcheroo then I'd suggest to improve it to work in this case too.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. The switcheroo tool now works on binary functions with only one input wired.