LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LabBEAN

Edit >> Create SubVI: Tweaks

Functionality available in LabVIEW 2011.

Edit >> Create SubVI:  I almost never use this function... but it could be so nice!

Imagine being able to develop code on some diagram, check functionality in line, and quickly generate a subVI.  We're so close with "Create SubVI", but in 7+ years, I've never really used it.

Suggested Tweaks:

1) Use default connector pane (12 terminals)
2) If there are error clusters, wire them to the bottom terminals.
3) If there are error clusters, auto create a case structure and put the code in the No Error case.  Wire the error cluster through the Error case.
4) If there are in and out references (e.g. File In, File Out), wire these to the top terminals.
5) Run Clean Up Diagram.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
24 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The diagram cleanup could be set as an option in the options dialog (as could the other things, probably, although you wouldn't want too many options). By default it should not done because some people don't want it and it's very easy to invoke manually.

P.S. To follow the exchange, I set up an email subscription for the entire exchange. That way, I get an email whenever a comment is posted. Because Gmail puts emails with the same subject line into a single "conversation", that means I only have to click a single link for each thread here.

Jack - Thanks for your numerous ideas, police work, and sentiments (and for not hammering my spelling elsewhere).

-Jason

LabBEAN
Active Participant

Yair - Good thought.  I'm still finding my way around (saw that you posted a comment to this thread about 10 minutes ago, but it wasn't until I posted a response and didn't see my comment that I realized how to find the 11th comment... )

Could I ask you two other questions about using the forums in general??

How do I link to a specific post on a forums discussion?  I see, for example, "http://...1234#M1234" but don't understand what the "M" is for or how to get it to send me to a certain post (e.g. post #17).

Lastly, sometimes when I try to use a hyperlink, I just get the HTML text instead of the hyperlink:

"<a href="url">Link text</a>"

Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

There are two ways to directly link to a specific post in a thread. 1. Use the "Permalink" link that you can see on the Idea Exchange forums, or 2. "Bookmark" on the regular forums, then use that link from your bookmark list.

Does anyone know a slicker way?

tst
Knight of NI

Each post has an ID, which is used an anchor to point directly to it.

As mentioned, in the idea exchange, this is accessible using the permalink text. In the forums, the easiest way is the reply number which appears in the left side bar and is actually a direct link to that post.

As for the hyperlinks, the easiest way is by using the hyperlink button in the editor. You select the text you want to "link" and then click it, which opens a popup. If you want to use the HTML code directly, you need to switch the editor to HTML mode.

If you have more questions, you should post them to the feedback board.

Thanks guys.

I'll take future questions to the feedback board.

In the main forums in Firefox, when I right click the post I want to link to and select Bookmark This Page, I get a link to the top message, not the post that I right clicked.  Also, I don't see anything helpful when I hover around in the left side bar (e.g. on the User Name, User Icon, or Reply button).  Where do you see the address to the current post?

tst had a good idea about subscribing to the Idea Excange, so I checked My Profile >> Subscriptions and Bookmarks.  Oddly there are only two subscriptions listed (and I get Forums emails from loads of threads).  There isn't a place to add a subscription to the Idea Exchange, so clearly I'm missing something...

tst
Knight of NI

The link to the post appears right under the user's icon, where it says "message X of Y", where the X is a link. It's simple HTML and if memory serves, it should appear in Firefox as well.

As for subscribing, that's done from the exchange options drop-down, which is found at the main page of the exchange, right above the first idea.

NI -- please implement as users have said here, but defer the Kudos given here to tst...

================================================================

tst -- Got it.  Thanks for bearing with me.

Lessons learned:

At one time I noticed that X, in Message X of Y, was a link.  That's handy.

My Profile >> Subscriptions and Bookmarks has a drop down displaying all sorts of good info.  To subscribe to a normal forums thread, go to the top for Thread Options.  For an Idea Exchange, follow tst's instructions above.

jlokanis
Active Participant

This is a great idea (both the original one and this *new and improved* one).  I give them both kudos.

But, I will propose one question:  Isn't this functionality already possible via scripting?  I think there is all the functionality you would need to write this as an extention to the IDE and post it to the formus or LAVA.

Scripting gurus: correct me if I am wrong.

I just might have to try this as a good way to learn more about scripting...

But, I also think this is the way it should be done in LV in the first place so NI should make this the standard. 

-John
------------------------
tst
Knight of NI
This should be possible through scripting (by using the JKI RCF when it comes out or by adding it as an option to the Tools menu), but it probably wouldn't be the simplest code in the world, as you would have to recognize all the wires going in, create references if needed and then replace the code with the new VI. NI already has some of the functionality in place and if they change it it will benefit all users.