LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LabBEAN

Edit >> Create SubVI: Tweaks

Functionality available in LabVIEW 2011.

Edit >> Create SubVI:  I almost never use this function... but it could be so nice!

Imagine being able to develop code on some diagram, check functionality in line, and quickly generate a subVI.  We're so close with "Create SubVI", but in 7+ years, I've never really used it.

Suggested Tweaks:

1) Use default connector pane (12 terminals)
2) If there are error clusters, wire them to the bottom terminals.
3) If there are error clusters, auto create a case structure and put the code in the No Error case.  Wire the error cluster through the Error case.
4) If there are in and out references (e.g. File In, File Out), wire these to the top terminals.
5) Run Clean Up Diagram.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
24 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I agree with them all except nr. 5.

I would, however, shift the contents of the block diagram (without re-organising the individual elements relative to each other) so that the indocators and controls wired up are not miles away from the entity they are wired to.....

LabBEAN
Active Participant
Point taken... Just trying to present the idea to NI R&D as "quick tweaks", but your comment is noteworthy.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

It's just that the diagram clean-up doesn't have much of a sence of aesthetics.  It's a pure efficiency beast!

Even the code I create a Sub-VI out of inthis regard is more or less organised as I want it.....  It's still a good idea though.  You have my kudos.

LabBEAN
Active Participant

Just checked Create SubVI (again, don't really use it), and it does retain the diagram structure when it creates the VI, so maybe we don't need the Clean Up Diagram step to sell NI R&D on this as an "easy addition" to the IDE...

Thanks Intaris...

So, dropping #5 means there only 4 quick tweaks stopping us from enjoying Create SubVI.  Now, if only there were a way to change the default icon it uses... *wink*

Mads
Active Participant

1-4 - definitely - good ideas!

I'm amazed that you do not use it though, it is already a very nice and fundamental function, even though it does always leave you with some cleaning up to do....

Message Edited by Mads on 07-03-2009 04:46 PM
Message Edited by Mads on 07-03-2009 04:53 PM
Intaris
Proven Zealot
Some cleaning up, yes.  But it's still a LOT quicker than re-writing from scratch.....
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

All Kudos should be given to tst here. This post is a perfect duplicate of his idea a month ago.

Be careful to search the board before posting your ideas, and only post a new idea if it differs significantly enough to warrant more than a comment on the original post.

Intaris
Proven Zealot
Let's hope NI are clever enough to sort that out.
LabBEAN
Active Participant

I was used to searching the forums where you get page # info and didn't catch the "Next" link at the bottom.  So, I thought I had read all the ideas.  Didn't know about the exchange or I would have made the suggestion sooner, like I did on March 5 😉

http://labviewartisan.blogspot.com/2009/03/bulk-creation-of-controls-and.html#comments

Lastly, while I've given "tst" Kudos, this isn't a "perfect duplicate".  (See item #3.)

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 07-03-2009 09:19 PM

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Didn't mean to come across rudely - I will be the first to admit that this message board "powered by lithium" has a non-intuitive interface when it comes to navigating from page to page!

LabBEAN, you have been giving plenty of good ideas, and I see that you are actively participating on this entire board. I feel more harshness to the type who doesn't even search before posting.