Did you mean: 
PalleM

Edit -> Create SubVI should respect label positions

Moved to CAR Database: CAR 428767

create subVI.png

I have my default label positions set to 

Controls and constants, Left-middle

Indicators: right middle

When creating a subVI from the edit menu, control / indicator labels in the SubVI are placed without regard to the rule, so I manually have to move them to the correct place. This is kinda silly, since creating a new control / indicator will place the label correctly.

8 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

As a workaround, ctrl-a...ctrl-space...ctrl-t will take care of it. 😉

fabric
Active Participant

I agree that LV should respect the user's settings wherever possible. In that sense this could be classified as a bug.

Another similar culprit is auto-grow... I like auto-grow off, and yet many of my diagrams end up with auto-growing structures because LV often creates them that way for me anyway. So why provide the setting if it doesn't work properly? Well, because half-baked is better then nothing I suppose...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@fabric: It shouldn't. Do you have an example? Did you post that as an offensive bug? However, it is true that some action will autogrow the structure within which they are done (such as the conditional indexing tidbit discussed here) no matter what your autogrow option is set to.

to the OP: There is some intended behavior here, which is that it respects the option you have set for new control/indicator label position. NI would have to add a sub-option (for indicator and controls) to allow for your preference to work (it is yours, it might not be mine :-). They have proven option-multiplication adverse...

PalleM

X: "...NI would have to add a sub-option (for indicator and controls) to allow for your preference to work..."

Nope, The "String in" & "String out" were not there before i clicked Create SubVI, so they are new and should follow the rule Smiley Happy

fabric
Active Participant

@X. wrote:

Do you have an example?

The best examples are VIs created from templates. That's not .vit templates by the way, but rather template-based wizards like "New>VI from Dynamic Dispatch Template", "New>VI for Data Member Access".

It is possible to update the template VIs to not use auto-grow, but you need to (i) find them all and (ii) remember to do it for each new version. Ugh. Boring... Better to just honour the setting!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined
Moved to CAR Database: CAR 428767
Darren
Proven Zealot

This is CAR-level work, I intend on fixing it in LabVIEW 2014.

Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)

CAR 428767 discussed in this thread was fixed in  LabVIEW 2014.  For a more complete list of bugs fixed in LabVIEW 2014, check the LabVIEW 2014 Bug Fixes. You can download an evaluation copy of LabVIEW 2014 at http://www.ni.com/trylabview/ or if you have an earlier version of LabVIEW installed and an active SSP subscription, you will be able to download the latest version of LabVIEW through NI Update Service.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments | Certified LabVIEW Architect