LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skusie

Easy resize of structures created with a double-click.

It would be nice, if you could resize a structure to a minimum (a small padding should be left over) with simply double-klicking on these small blue "resize-squares". It should function with every "resize-square".

resize structure.png

12 Comments
garrettmarsh

This is already supported (mostly) by BD Cleanup tool. Plus there, you have the functionality allowing you to select just the structure, or the surrounding objects as well.

Other than saving a step, what do you see as the advantages of this method?

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

You can select only the structure, but the BDCT will "clean up" the contents of the structure in addition to resizing it.  It's not the same thing as shrinking the structure.

Spoiler
This looks like a job for a Quick Drop plugin.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast
  1. Perhaps a moderator can change one word in the title of this idea from 'labels' to 'structure'
  2. This is similar to this idea - Shrink-Wrap Structures
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

skusie

1. Weird. Yes, "structure" is correct.

2. Didn't found that before, so sorry for doubleposting.

Manzolli
Active Participant

O think the 1st post talking about this concept is from Mads. Contraction shortcut (opposite of Ctrl+Shift+drag). Like many others, I believe this will increase productivity a lot.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
fabric
Active Participant

"Double-click on structure border = size to fit" is a standard operation in some other programs (e.g. Adobe Indesign) and I find it very natural and intuitive.

Personally, I would not even require the user to double click on the blue squares. IMO double-clicking any edge or corner would be easier 🙂

PS: This concept could also include labels (as the title of the idea originally suggested!) and string/path constants.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

by Active Participant Manzolli on ‎08-12-2013 10:38 AM

I think the 1st post talking about this concept is from Mads. Contraction shortcut (opposite of Ctrl+Shift+drag). Like many others, I believe this will increase productivity a lot.

Mads' post is about shrinking a diagram part (not just a structure). I suppose the current idea is easier to implement without catastrophically impacting the rest of the diagram, although I would not be utterly optimistic, which is why I won't vote for it just yet. My point is that a badly implemented feature is sometimes worse than no feature at all...
Manzolli
Active Participant

As understood, only the border of the selected structure will shrink, creating some space around. Nothing outside the structure will be moved.

The reduction process will stopping in anything that require being moved to shrink more. In other words, it will respect the current position of any item in the BD, including Labels, Free Labels, Tunnels, Decorations, etc.

The only exception are wires. When they are perpendicular to the side, they will be only be shrieked, not moved.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Darren
Proven Zealot

I updated the title of this post to use the word "structures" instead of "labels" to be more clear.

Manzolli
Active Participant

Getting something from garrettmarsh and fabric, the advantage over the Cleanup tool is that only that corner (moving 2 edges) or one edge will change. This is particularly interesting when you want to shrink only one side of the structure. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil