From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Dynamic menu creation of project VIs in functions palette

Available in NI LabVIEW 2009

Hello everybody,

in many projects I create some VIs, which I use as sub VIs in different VIs of my project. If I want to drop one of these sub VIs in a VI, I have either to switch to the project explorer an grab it there or right-click on the block diagramm and use the functions palette -> Select a VI... . It would be nice (and save time), if I could use the functions palette to directly browse my project VIs. Some sort of dynamic menu creation for project VIs, organized like the project tree folders. If projects could get a default icon as libraries and classes, this icon could be set as palette icon. And if there is a library in one folder (perhaps with a default icon), make this library as a sub menu in the functions palette.

Marc

CLD
7 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot

If you could, theoretically, drop project items from Quick Drop, would that be a sufficient solution?  Because it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a feature along these lines in a future LabVIEW version.

-D

Marc Blumentritt

Quickdrop is since LabVIEW8.6, right? Have not worked with it, but sounds good. I think, I could get used to it, so yes, it would be a sufficient solution. Thumps up!

Marc

CLD
Darren
Proven Zealot

LabVIEW 2009 allows you to drop project items with Quick Drop.  If this is a sufficient solution for this idea, I will try to get a moderator to mark this idea as "Complete".

-D

Todd S.
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
Implemented in LabVIEW 2009.
Todd S.
LabVIEW Community Manager
National Instruments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

I am changing the status from Completed to Declined because Completed should only be ideas that R&D see on Idea Exchange, actively developed on it based on the idea here, and it was added to the product.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined