LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Drop Error in and Error out together

I don't know how many times I've wanted to add Error in and Error out terminals to a VI retrospectively and have to visit the cluster palette twice to do just that.

How about (for those of us who don't yet use Quickdrop) an option to drop an Error Cluster pair (Both in and out) to save us a trip to the Palette?

That's it really.

Shane.

10 Comments
PaulG.
Active Participant

I would be happier being able to create a custom "new" vi complete with error in and out controls already connected to the terminals.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
crossrulz
Knight of NI

What I did was create a VI with the two error clusters and add it to the palette with "Drop VI Contents" enabled.  Granted, I have to drop the clusters on the bock diagram, but it does work.

A more general solution would to allow multiple controls/indicators to be made into a single control palette item.  I know that idea is floating around somewhere, but I'm too busy/lazy to look it up right now.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Duplicate. But good idea!

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
fabric
Active Participant

The duplicate mentioned by Steen talked about placing a pair of error clusters from the palette...

...could this new idea be interpreted as an ability to drop the pair of error clusters without even visiting the palette?

I can see great value in a fast method* to drop a pair of error clusters AND wire them to the connector pane terminals. That would save even more mouse clicks! Smiley Wink

* E.g. Menu option, right-click diagram, right-click connector pane, take your pick...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

It's official:  It's essentially a duplicate of the idea Steen linked to.  this is essentially exactly what I meant but instead of multiple palette selection I would have made a third entry with a pair of Error clusters (appropriately named) via a VI set to place its contents when dropped.

fabric
Active Participant

...so no interest in auto-wiring of the connector pane then?! Smiley Sad 

I guess I'll have to offload my unwanted mouse clicks elsewhere...

JÞB
Knight of NI

I could see where "Auto-connect Error terminals to connector pane" would be a good default LabVIEW.ini sub-option indented under "Automatically include Error In and Error Out on new vis"  Kudos!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Intaris
Proven Zealot

@fabric

I'm not a big fac of LV doing things for me which I may or may not want.  I'm torn on the issue of error clusters, but my gut instinct tells me no.

BTW, Allowing us to generate scripting Macros which can be called from a menu could solve this problem.  Or cant his be done with Quick drop?  I've never gottena round to using quick drop.

fabric
Active Participant

"I'm not a big fan of LV doing things for me which I may or may not want."

Personally, I'm more a fan of LV allowing me to easily do things I do want. Slightly tangential to your original idea, but if I could right-click on the connector pane and select "drop and wire error terminals" then that would make me very happy.

That said, if I dropped my error clusters from the palette then it would probably make more sense to leave them unwired.

I'm certainly not looking for overly bloated menus, but I like context-aware options that facilitate efficient development.

Darren
Proven Zealot