LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sil3nc3r

Direct access to Plot Visible property on plot legend

Available in LabVIEW 2011

It'd be usefull for develloper and especially application user to improve graph control by adding to Graph direct access to Plot Visible property on plot legend.

For the time being, you have to go to color and choose transparent or to change visible property dynamically.

I propose control like that ... but we could find another idea to access Visible property.

All plot visible Selected plots visible

24 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

This is all nice and good, but I suggest even more flexibility: NI, please provide us with the standard "Move Backward", "Move Forward", "Move to Back" and "Move to Front" actions for plots.

Thanks in advance for listening.

X.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I suggest an additional feature: provide "Move Backward", "Move Forward", "Move to Back" and "Move to Front" method for each individual plots.

Thanks for listening,

X/.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Xavier, if you're reading this, you're not the first to double-post. Look for the "Next Comments" link in between the original post and the replies. Don't sweat it... several of us have made the same mistake.
smmarlow

The check boxes are a great idea.  NI should also leave the plot color there, as the checkbox will indicate visibility

Wonger

Hi guys, I am working on this idea for 2011. There are a couple of issues I would like to bring up with the community to get your feedback.

1. I am having some concerns about the positioning of the checkbox to the right of the glyph. It looks great when the plot legend is vertical but when you expand it horizontally it becomes very confusing as to which checkbox applies to each plot. See the screenshot below:

plotVisRightSide.jpg

One idea is to move the checkbox to the left of the plot name, like so:

plotVisLeftSide.jpg

2. Are you imagining this as a feature that is always on? I could imagine alot of cases where customers would not care about hiding plots and would not want these checkboxes showing. In this case we would still have to hide the line on the plot glyph to indicate that the plot is hidden. Do you agree that the checkboxes should be an option that is toggleable on and off? Would you like it to be on by default to increase visibility of the feature or off by default if this is the more common use case?

I would appreciate the community's input on these issues.

Thanks,

Wonger

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

1. Left looks good to me.  I usually like the eye glyph for visibility (can we customize?)

2. Definitely should be optional.  My usual feeling is default off, change should be optional IMO.

3. Will we get access to the visibility property from the RTM?  Yes. Please.

4. Maybe a separate idea/discussion, but could there be other visual cues that a plot is hidden besides hiding the line in the legend.  Greying out the name, or plot glyph.

Just thoughts while everything is on the table.  That bottom picture looks like a great improvement already.

elset191
Active Participant

test.PNG

Which one's left and which one's right? 

You need context to figure it out either way.  Same thing even without the checkboxes.  It takes a second to figure out.  It's like trying to figure out which cupholder is yours at the movie theater.  You have to look at the seats on the end to find the pattern. 

Spoiler
Things get real crazy when both ends have cupholders on both sides.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Intaris
Proven Zealot

How about a simply clicking on the plot name which results in the plot name being crossed out or something similar.  I don't know if the checkbox (which initially seems like the logical choise) is the best approach.

Wonger

The problem is that clicking on the plot name initiates a text edit. I think the checkbox on the left side will work; it seems intuitive enough.

THailey3
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments