From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JensG69

Different Icons for FP / BD / Project windows / ... in windows taskbar

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. See the idea discussion thread for more information.

It would be nice, if the different kind of LabVIEW windows would have slighty different icons within the windows taskbar. It would be easier to quickly identify BD / FP / project / Ctrl / etc. windows in the taskbar.

This suggestion has also been made at

http://www.labviewforum.de/unterschiedliche-Symbole-fuer-Frontpanel-und-Blockdiagramm-in-der-Tasklei...

Here you can find two suggestions for FP & BD-icons.

Kudos are welcome...
24 Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
Yes. Will be helpful
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

A simple and elegant change. I often just click on an icon, taking my 50/50 chance that it's the FP or BD I wanted, because it takes a second or so to "read" the text.

Richard

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Not only that, but once you get a bunch of VI's open, all you get are the first few letters of the VI name, the designation of block diagram or front panel disappears into the ...  of the VI name on the taskbar.  And if it is 50/50 chance, why do I seem to guess wrong 75% of the time.  Smiley Wink

IrD

This would be a very very helpful feature and will increase my workspeed definitely.
Message Edited by IrD on 10-16-2009 01:24 AM
Vaibhav
Active Participant

Interesting! 

I always needed but never thought to really "want" it. 

Vaibhav
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

I am going to create multiple user accounts on this forum so I can kudos this idea many many times. 🙂

I have been begging for this idea for several years now!

joshuatree

this would be a beautiful thing!!!  with 3 rows of vi icons on the windows taskbar any help i can get in distinguishing which is which would be an incredible timesaver...    as it is now, i have to go with broken arrows 50/50 approach.

altenbach
Knight of NI
In addition, I would like any VI that does not have any connectors assigned to use a special icon. This would help more easily distinguish toplevel VIs from subVIs when using the OS file manager.

(see also my related idea here

Kjell-E

you know, even just pre-fixing the name with a special character for block diagram would help. For example, for block diagram windows, make the very first character ~ or *.. That way you only loose the ability to differentiate when you have so many windows open that you cant even begin to read the name of the vi anyway in which case an Icon isn't going to help you too much either. 

---------------------------------------------------

Project Engineer
LabVIEW 2009
Run LabVIEW on WinXP and Vista system.
Used LabVIEW since May 2005

Certifications: CLD and CPI certified
Currently employed.
Yakov

Even better: Use the VI icons if available and add some tag if it is a frontpanel or block diagram window.

as it is suggested in :

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Different-Icons-for-frontpanel-block-diagram-project-w...