From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Developer Suite release names should be software year and service pack (e.g. 2009 SP1) instead of DVD shipment year (e.g. 2010 DSx)

Developer Suite is a compilation of multiple National Instruments software products (e.g. LabVIEW, LabWindows™/CVI, Measurement Studio) designed to offer substantial savings to the end-user. All of the individual products aren't necessarily on the same version at any given point in time. Developer Suite is not intended to mirror or directly represent the LabVIEW versioning scheme but instead to represent the timing and shipment number of the entire Developer Suite package. There are component cards in the Developer Suite binder that indicate the version of all included software.

When the Developer Suite DVD binder arrives, the first thing I do is find a black Sharpie, cross out the name (e.g. 2010) on the binder label, and write the version of the software it contains (e.g. 2009 SP1).

Rarely if ever do I care which year the DVD binder shipped to me -- all I care about is the version of the software (the most important being LabVIEW) it contains.

Now that LabVIEW and most other NI software products are on an annual release cycle and named according to the year and service pack, I would love it if the Dev Suite binders were named the same way.

8 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Some humorous related chatter here. Kudos.

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 05-06-2010 10:57 AM
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
Jack: That's too funny 🙂  And, thanks (again) for being my daily ni forums guide 😉
jlokanis
Active Participant
It gets even better.  Sometime in the future you might decide to build an installer with some additional components.  When you do this, you will be prompted for something like 'LV2009 Second Quarter Disk 3'.  Obviously, none of the disk are or ever have been labeled like this...
-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: New

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Developer Suite is a compilation of multiple National Instruments software products (e.g. LabVIEW, LabWindows™/CVI, Measurement Studio) designed to offer substantial savings to the end-user. All of the individual products aren't necessarily on the same version at any given point in time. Developer Suite is not intended to mirror or directly represent the LabVIEW versioning scheme but instead to represent the timing and shipment number of the entire Developer Suite package. There are component cards in the Developer Suite binder that indicate the version of all included software.
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

Even though the idea has been declined, NI definitely hears the feedback and confusion from customers. We are working on different initiatives with installers to make that part better and working one software delivery as well that will hopefully help greatly in this area. Thanks for the input!

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

Then, maybe I should submit a new feature request for a LabVIEW Developer Suite that is separate from the NI Developer Suite -- I really don't use any of those "other" applications (LabWindows, Measurement Studio, Test Stand), anyway 😉

RX575

We revisit the mismatched version issue again in 2011. How about having NI week in March to coincide with their new LabVIEW release. The Developer Suite 2011 DS1 first shipment would then match a March release of LabVIEW 2011. The second Developer Suite 2011 DS2 shipment and LabVIEW Service Pack Update shipment in August would be in the same year and we would be happy.