LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt.baker

Ctrl + mouse wheel: Scroll through array elements when hovered over

This idea is currently in the LabVIEW NXG backlog. For LabVIEW 20xx, I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.

With a case structure I can place the mouse cursor over the structure and Ctrl + scroll wheel to cycle through the cases without it being active. If I try doing this on arrays it doesn't work.

For front panel arrays the numeric indicator must have focus for this to work. Doesn't work when the array data is selected. I understand that multidimensional arrays would be a problem, but for 1D arrays it would be nice if it cycled through the elements.

For array constant block diagram elements, no scroll action works regardless of what is active. Again it should allow the user to cycle through elements for 1D arrays simply by hovering over the item and Ctrl + scroll wheel.

original.gif

Not a duplicate of http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Array-scrollbar-quot-scrollable-quot-with-scroll-wheel...

[admin edit: Adding animation image at the request of the OP]

Using LV2018 32 bit

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

https://getsharex.com/
11 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I'm not sure what you're talking about. As far as I can tell, Ctrl+Scroll does nothing for arrays. I can use just the scroll wheel to scroll arrays both on the FP and the BD, as long as the cursor is on top of them, no focus required.

As said in the other idea, it was implemented in LV 2013. I'm not sure how your idea is different (other than that you seem to want the Ctrl modifier for some reason).

tst wrote: I can use just the scroll wheel to scroll arrays both on the FP and the BD, as long as the cursor is on top of them, no focus required.

And the scroll bar has to be visible, which I have learned is a good thing to have anyways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
matt.baker
Active Participant

Sorry for the confusion.

When you say: "I can use just the scroll wheel to scroll arrays both on the FP and the BD, as long as the cursor is on top of them, no focus required."

Do you mean it increments/decrements the index value as you scroll (thats what I'm after)?

Just like the effect of hovering over a case structure and Ctrl + scroll wheel cycles through all of the cases. It works well for this so why not add it to arrays was my thinking.

Not the scroll bar.

On my third paragraph of the original idea I should have put: "no Ctrl + scroll action works, regardless of what is active"

E.g. Hover over 1D array on BD or FP

Ctrl + scroll up: index value increments/shows next element.

Ctrl + scroll down: index value decrements/shows previous element.

Using LV2018 32 bit

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

crossrulz
Knight of NI

matt.baker wrote:

When you say: "I can use just the scroll wheel to scroll arrays both on the FP and the BD, as long as the cursor is on top of them, no focus required."

Do you mean it increments/decrements the index value as you scroll (thats what I'm after)?

Yes, the index values will increment/decrement as you scroll.  You do have to have the scroll bar visible.  But then you just put the cursor over the array (does not seem to work with the index display) and scroll.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Manzolli
Active Participant

For 3D or more the scroll bars don't work. Many times we don't want to have the scroll bars on. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
matt.baker
Active Participant

I see what you mean about the scroll bar now. It does work, but it would be more intuitive (in my opinion) if it carried over the case structure implementation.

Heres an animation for clarity:

Array-shortcut-loop.gif

(wish I could modify the original idea to add the animation in...)

Using LV2018 32 bit

Darren
Proven Zealot

Matt, I added the animation to the original idea post.

matt.baker
Active Participant

Thanks Darren.

Using LV2018 32 bit

Gregory
Trusted Enthusiast

The case structure scrolls in the opposite direction. Likewise, I'd like to see scrolling down used to increment the index.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development