LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labview4steve

Create the OPPOSITE of KUDOS ie BOO!

Users are encouraged to be more specific with constructive feedback by using comments than a vote down functionality.

How often have you seen this sort of thing.

There is a silly idea, but it seems to have lots of votes (or more votes than it should compared to other good ideas).

In this silly case the idea has 634 kudos and it may even have a chance of being implemented in the next update of LabVIEW

but you are sure that there must be at least the same number of people who positively hate this idea but we have no idea of telling this.....

You want to BOO or give a thumbs down but at the moment you can't.

eg.

Negative Kudos 1.gif

Well if the LabVIEW Idea Exchange had a BOO button like this

Boo Button.gif

or it could be a thumbs down icon

then the problem would be solved.

We would then know how many people HATE the idea and not just those who love it...

so instead of just positive kudos we would judge a good idea by the RATIO of Good to Bad votes....

This I think would far better reflect the relevance, importance etc of an idea-  what does everyone else think???

But then again - If I get no negative Kudos  who would know??????

At the moment the kudos assumes that each person who submits a kudos knows what he is talking about....

Here is what it would look like - and we would know that 634 kudos is no longer considered so good anymore when we know that it also got 99,999 boo's.

Negative Kudos 2 - Boos.gif

20 Comments
Norbert_B
Proven Zealot

You are correct that there are suggestions in this forum which have many, many kudos but do not "conform" with the current way how LV handles things.

There are also suggestions in this forum which would deserve many kudos but they don't have them.

So i want to assure you that (from simple common sense) NI will not implement a suggestion only because the kudo-count is high. The developers are taking several things into account, like:

- How easy will it be to implement something like this

- Are there already upcoming features in a new release which are (at least) comparable

- Does it even work with the current way how LV works

- How many kudos (read: demand) is there

So kudos are definetly a part for the selection, but not the only one. The example you pick is a good example: It seems to be a much requested feature, but it totally disagrees with the way LV works. So it will not be implemented in such a way as suggested.

Nevertheless, it shows that there are some things in LV which a great deal of persons disagree with. So NI has to take a close look and consider how to change things in future releases to make things more simple/usable/comfortable. The result may be a direct implementation of the suggestion (like Altenbachs boolean constants in LV 2010) or a different approach which in fact does a comparable job.....

While i tend to agree with you that "negative kudos" could give a better picture for "how the community would evaluate" the suggestion, but it would not help at all i think. How would you see a suggestion with 1000 kudos and 1000 "antikudos"?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
PJM_Labview
Active Participant

Damn, LabVIEW still has sequence structure in 2029 !

Oh Well...

10-15-2010 9-56-30 AM.png

vipm.io | jki.net

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I am not a fan of this idea, maybe I should Kudo it, get it implemented, then I can come back here and Boo it. 

Wait a tick, my internal compiler optimization flagged that as a no-op.

labview4steve

Thanks Norbert for the good thoughts!.

1) you asked what happens if we get 1000 kudos & 1000 antikudos (boo or whatever you want to call it).

then we know that 50% of the people support such an idea.. so it should be something that should be definately considered in the next iteration of labview. with a privisor that it is enabled as an option to enable that feature or disable it.

I was more thinking along the lines that if an idea gets hundreds of kudos then labview might think that its a really good to implement this idea and the way a user uses labview ...

obviously the NI developers (hopefully?) will take into account the overall ease, compatibilty, functions and design, usability etc to their existing customer base, but its just with the existing kudos we have no real idea of how many people think its a terrible idea...

so we could have some sort of scale, or percentage ranking... ie if 1 boo and 100 kudos, then we know 99% of users probably think its a good idea and so it most definately should be considered as a feature, but if we get 300 kudos and 300 boos, then this idea should if implemented at all should only be implemented as an option and not a fundamental change to how labview works.

Also the exact number of kudos. boos could be counted as well - ie if only 5 kudos and 5 boos, then this idea is not as important (or at least hasn't been read or discussed) as one that got 300 kudos and 300 boos..

My point exactly about altenbachs boolean constant suggestion - I actually like it, but wonder how many would rather have wanted it left an an option like the large or small icons for control & indicators on the block diagram.  - because it never got boo's we will never know how many people don't post a comment, but they do vote with kudos.  and I think are very likely to put a boo or antikudos next to each item....

Darin   Excellent Point!!!! I woud love it if you could do this!  I don't mind a few boos - at least we know where people stand!

PJM_LabVIEW - Its always good when people read the posting and pick up your point. I'm sure it will still be here!

P.s I have another Idea related to this idea... have the ability to Unkudo your last vote - ie the Ni site will still remember what your last vote was - so you won't be able to vote twice, but you can change your mind... I have seen other posters indicating they had changed their mind after reading the comments... so you can boo and then kudo it if after discussion you see the merits or vice versa - this would not affect any vote counting either way, as you can still only vote once in either direction ....

ie Kudo, unkudo (ie neutral), Boo and (un boo - neutral again), but you can't kudo twice or boo twice.... (and for those who don't like the boo idea, then just keep the undo kudo idea)

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

>> I have another Idea related to this idea... have the ability to Unkudo your last vote

You can do this - when you are viewing an Idea, under the "Idea Options" menu there's an item called "Revoke Kudos". You can vote for and revoke an unlimited (?) number of times.

smmarlow

BOO! (just kidding)

jgcode
Active Participant

I don't like the fact that the suggestion is an overly aggressive implementation of the idea, but I do like the concept behind the idea.

The reason being the above is a very negative approach, and I don't think it would be beneficial to anyone. 

However, there are other applications out there that interact with users and let them cast a 'thumbs down' vote and it can be done in a positive way. For example one photo sharing application allows user to cast a 'thumbs down' vote but they have to leave a comment. This is turn gives more exposure to the idea (which would translate to being more visible/sitting at the top for longer, round here), rather than dropping lower in the 'visible rating' as it allows others more time to see it and weigh with their opinion etc... all in all a more positive experience for the poster and the idea.

But yes, I think a 'thumbs down' or would be a great addition if implemented correctly. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
dthor
Active Participant

Dangit Jackie-D! I kudo'd this idea just to check out your "Revoke Kudos" claim, and it's not there!

I'm not sure if I've been had or I have some settings wrong...

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Try refreshing your browser.  Clicking a kudo adds the kudo as some part of a script that doesn't affect the menu choices on the page.  Refreshing the page causes the menu choices to reload, and then you will have a Revoke Kudo's option.

Manzolli
Active Participant

With the facts pointed by Norbert B, I understand the number of Kudos can only call NI attention to the Idea. Since no silly idea will be implemented just because the Kudo count, no need for Boo count. Sorry, but this idea deserves a Boo.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil