LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aptivo

Create DotNetContainer Reference

If creating a reference to a .Net control you will observe that is reference type of ActiveXContainer is created which is sometimes confusing at a first sight.

Container.JPG

Please introduce a .NetContainer (at least cosmetically at block diagram) for a better overview. If you are doing so, you could change as well the color of the ActiveX container with respect to the .Net container on the block diagram. If you have to change the programming interface, it would be much easier to spot where you have to do so.

2 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

I wonder if this isn't a bug...

Instead of adding a ".NETContainer" class (preferable), "ActiveXContainer" could be renamed to "Container", so it fit's both .NET and ActiveX. Not perfect, but better that how it is.

+1 for me, although I'm not sure how much priority I'd give it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I went to look at the code. Turns out that the .NET container IS an ActiveX container. In the C++ code, it's the exact same control type, thus it is the same refnum type.

I agree that we could still have made the G API layer much better by creating a separate class.

Adding that class today? The mutation to keep existing scripting code working seems like it could be tricky.