LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimboH

Create Bundle by name constant

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The idea here is to have the option to create not just a constant when connecting to a property node or indicator, but instead to have an option to connect up a bundle by name with the constant connected to it.  This would be invoked by the usual right click menu, but with extra options if a cluster is present.  I'm not exactly sure how to handle the bundle or bundle by name, but as I am partial to the arrange horizontally arangement of a cluster, it might be nice to have the option to have the constant that is created be either horizontal or vertical, via different options in the selection menu.

ConstBundle.png

6 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Which object do you want to right click on to get this menu?  The property node?

I don't see this idea being useful very often that would make me want to have more items cluttering the right click menu.  The constant can already be created by the right click menu.  And inserting a bundle by name function on a cluster wire is only a couple more clicks way by using Insert on the right click menu.

To save only 2 or 3 mouse clicks very occasionally, I'd rather not add more features to the right click menu.

JimboH

Yes, to clarify I would want to be able to right click on anything that has a cluster input, and to be able to select these options.  They would only need to be present on inputs with clusters, and could also be hidden in a submenu, as such:

const

control

indicator

cluster > bundle by name, horizontal

bundle by name, vertical 

bundle, horizontal

bundle, vertical

and could possibly include even the other bundle options that make sense  

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Consider linking the "bundle by name" to the destination. That way, you don't even have a constant on the BD.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

If you're impatient for this, you could create a right-click plugin for this. The basic code is fairly simple:

Create BBN.png

This assumes that untitled 2 has a single property node on the diagram which has a cluster as an input. It also doesn't clean up the code, but it does work.

If you want to see an example of a plugin which works with clusters and BBN, you can have a look at the Build Cluster of References plugin I posted here.

Why make it so complicated?  When you right click on a cluster input to a VI or on a cluster type of wire, the existing bundle by name menu creates the "type-declared" bundle as shown in the original suggestion.

Especially for beginning users, this can be a real puzzler how to do this.

Carsten Thomsen

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.