From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Copy control from BD but paste on FP

Maybe I have just created bad habits, but often times I copy a control on a BD that is the datatype I want. Then I go to some other VI and open the front panel and try to paste it, but I can't. I would like to be able to copy a control or indicator from the BD but paste it to another VIs FP. The reason I want this is because if I have to paste to the BD because I copied fromt the BD, sometimes it puts the control in la-la land away from all my other controls or indicators on the FP. If I could just paste directly to the fp, I could put it where I want.

Could I double click the control to find it then copy from the front panel? Yes, and maybe I should have made this a habit. But because I have not this lack of functionality sometimes annoys me  Smiley Sad

Download All
15 Comments
Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

Just for the "cross-reference", I have a recent post about this here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Why-we-cannot-copy-paste-a-control-from-a-BD-to-a-FP/m-p/3780104/hi...

(I found this Idea only after posting to the forum board)

Actually for me, the majority of use cases would be when I work in a BD, and I have a control object, and nearby a Typedef cluster. I just want to quickly copy-paste the control staying in the BD, into the opened up Typdef cluster. So far I always had to go to the FP "side" of the control, and copy it from there, in order to be able to paste it into the Typdef cluster. Others mention the other cases, like when you deal with Class data, same applies!

Suggested workaround, as said by tst (first comment here in the Idea thread), and by RTSLVU in my thread:

I can create a quick temporary copy of the desired control, using "ctrl+drag", change it into a constant, then do a Ctrl+X. Now you can paste this directly into any FP/Class data/Typdef cluster... I imagine these steps could be automatized using QuickDropPlugin and scripting, so you only need a Ctrl+space and a Ctrl+keycombo to get the desired functionality...

Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast
_carl

I keep hoping this "feature" will be rolled out with each new version of LabVIEW, as it regularly causes me headaches, and figured it couldn't hurt to give this thread some attention.

One common scenario I hit: Trying to copy a terminal that's hidden in the front panel (it's a GUI) into a typedef. The workaround always involves too many clicks.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>Trying to copy a terminal that's hidden in the front panel (it's a GUI) into a typedef.

Same here, but I want to paste into a class's private data.

As a tip, that doesn't at all invalidate the usability of this idea: on the terminal, you can right click and select 'Make Type Def', although that makes the control the type too (usually what you want, but you can't disconnect from the terminal).

_carl

Same here, but I want to paste into a class's private data

Yep, that's the other scenario I hit all the time.