LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Copy control from BD but paste on FP

Maybe I have just created bad habits, but often times I copy a control on a BD that is the datatype I want. Then I go to some other VI and open the front panel and try to paste it, but I can't. I would like to be able to copy a control or indicator from the BD but paste it to another VIs FP. The reason I want this is because if I have to paste to the BD because I copied fromt the BD, sometimes it puts the control in la-la land away from all my other controls or indicators on the FP. If I could just paste directly to the fp, I could put it where I want.

Could I double click the control to find it then copy from the front panel? Yes, and maybe I should have made this a habit. But because I have not this lack of functionality sometimes annoys me  Smiley Sad

Download All
15 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Today, LV already allows this with constants - you can copy a constant and paste it as a control. I'm assuming the reason this isn't allowed for terminals is because effectively, terminals (like everything else on the BD except constants) can't be meaningfully pasted on a FP - they would have to be "converted" from a terminal to a value with a label and the other properties, which can then become a control. I'm assuming it was deemed that this specific use case is not worth the effort.

I think the better solution for your problem was if LV did not paste the controls in "la la land", but rather somewhere which is free, but still nearby. Alternatively, if the other idea for having a dedicated area for new terminals is accepted, then the pasted elements could also be placed in there.

The Block Diagram Terminal and the Front Panel object are two seperate entities within LabVIEW but if LabVIEW can convert constants that are copied and pasted on the front panel then I don't see why this functionality can't be expanded to terminals as well. There might be a reason why but let's see if this is something that the community would like to see and then talk to R&D about it.

elset191
Active Participant

This happens most to me when working in XControls.  I'll create a control from the diagram of the facade panel to add it to my State control.  However since my front panel typically is full with one control, the new control spawns off screen and if I double click the terminal, I will move away from origin an unknown amount and it'll be hard to get back.  Of course, I can't copy the terminal and paste it to my State control because it's impossible, so I usually open a new VI, drop it to the block diagram and then copy the front panel object.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Darren
Proven Zealot

Geez, I wish this idea had more kudos...so many times I right-click a wire in a diagram > Create Control/Indicator (for the purpose of creating a new input on a subVI, usually), then I cut it and want to paste it on the panel of my subVI...but I have to paste it on the diagram instead.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
nathand
Proven Zealot

Duplicate of an idea I posted a year and a half earlier, although this one seems to be attracting more kudos

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-a-terminal-on-a-block-diagram-to-be-copied-to-a-...

John_P1
Trusted Enthusiast

This affects pasting controls into class data as well.  It can be rather annoying.

John Passiak
Richard_Ha

Please enable this, it's frustrating creating a control of a DVR refernce, then having to go the the front panel before I can cut it and paste in to a class data!

Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

I just do not understand why this is not implemented yet...seems so obvious, no?

Bob_Schor
Knight of NI

Sorry, I don't get it.  Maybe it's because I'm not using a lot of LVOOP, but this has never been a problem for me (the only time I "lose" the FP Control is when I'm working with (someone else's) Block Diagram that spans many screens, and the Control is "somewhere else".  But I just swear, use the Navigation Window to find it, and (you'll forgive the phrase, I hope) Bob's your Uncle.

If it is trivial to implement, I wouldn't object, but surely there are more serious things to worry about.

Bob Schor