From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Converting strings (control/indicator <> constant) should retain display format

We can right-click a string object and change the state (control, indicator, constant, array, element) by right-clicking. Unfortunately, the current behavior is (partially) inconsistent in the way the display format (normal, /-codes, pass, hex) is handled. Here are some results (list is incomplete), the symbol <> means in either direction.

Control<>indicator: The display format is retained

Array<>array constant: The display format is reset to "normal". *(Also see below)

Control|indicator<>constant: The display format is reset to "normal".

(*note that if I drop a string constant into an empty array container, the format and element size is retained. Converting to array using right-click should do the same!)

Whenever a conversion involves a diagram constant, the current display format is lost. I think it should be retained!

1 Comment
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd add: when creating an array from an element, create it with a single element identical to the starting one...

BTW, the Change to Array feature is a LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plugin, not a native function, so you could in principle modify it to do what you are asking (Check Execute Change Constant to Attay of Elements.vi in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\resource\plugins\PopupMenus\edit time panel and diagram\Change Constant To Array Or Element.llb