LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Ian_

Connector Pane: Show position of selected controls/indicators

There are lots of Ideas on the connector pane layout, tip strips etc. This is perhaps a variant of some of those, but it seems to me to be a very simple one.

When I click on the connector pane, the control or indicator that it links to is highlighted, allowing me to find it on the front panel easily.

When I click on a control.... hmmm, now where is it on the connector pane?

Why not shade in the corresponding connector on the pane when a control/indicator is clicked?

This would save tedious mouse work to investigate connector wiring - particularly when inheriting code from someone else.

18913i31407E55960D2BA0

7 Comments
Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

It already does this if you select the 'Connect Wire' tool.

_Ian_
Active Participant

I never knew that! Thanks for the info.

However, by preference I use the cursor tool - why can't it work for this too?

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Thanks, Dennis, I don't think I ever knew that either. I'm almost exclusively an auto-tool user, so I would appreciate the terminal highlighting when using the select tool. Kudos.

Mads
Active Participant

I Kudoed it because I've never noticed the highlighting...even though I use the wire tool. As it is done now (the selected control's terminal is hatched) it is almost inivisible, especially when you have small terminals and the color is dark. This is extra bad as it is typically when you have a lot of terminals (hence small as well) that you forget where each control is connected.

So I have a new idea - make the highlighting much easier to see(!).

The most visible solution would probably be to either make it blink (go white-then back to its color - on and off) or put a red line around it.

RayFarmer
Trusted Enthusiast

I Kudoed it, but then thought it already does this, then I read the comments. Should have read the comments first.

Regards
Ray Farmer
normd

This would make life so much nicer. Sure hope this makes it in.

jgcode
Active Participant

Great idea.

This was one of my first thoughts from using 2011 as the CP is now always seen - it makes complete sense to do this with the cursor.

Another auto-tool user here 🙂

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion