LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hfettig

Conditional Disable Symbols settable in Application Builder

I use the conditional disable structure in my projects to turn debug options on and off.

At the moment before every build I have to go into the project properties and make sure that DEBUG variable is set to FALSE and after the build I have to change it back.

You can get around this by automating you build but an option in the build specifications would simplify this.

It would make life much more convenient if there were a list of the available (non-system) conditional disable symbols in the application builder dialog where the appropriate variables for the build could be set. This would also allow for a simple duplication of a build spec to have one with DEBUG=TRUE, and one with DEBUG=FALSE.

31 Comments
randol

Do you also come from a C++ background marshaul?  Personally, I could hardly live without this functionality.

I will write this up on the forums in the morning.

marshaul

Yes, my background is (in order of significance) embedded C, C++, and obj-C.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Setting the conditions in the appropriate project's tag, and calling it in a pre-build VI does the job.

It's just very inconvenient. Each combination needs a VI (or needs to be handled in the pre build VI). And the pre build VI changes the project settings. I save the project before the build (I have a popup that lets me cancel the build if the conditions are changed). If I don't my SCC will be screwed up, as several VIs where touched by changing the conditions.

It allows me to build 4 applications (and 4 installers) from the same code base in one go, using Build All.

randol

I did a quick writeup of my method, with attached VIs.  I'd love to see the methods you all use.

Scripting Conditional Disable Symbols (#IfDef)

ijustlovemath
Active Participant

I find it pretty unreal that over a decade later NI has not implemented something as critical and basic as target-specific compile time definitions.

Sure, there's the workaround by messing with the lvproj XML, but that is not a real solution.

hallo2014

Still missing this feature

DerrickB
NI Employee (retired)

Bumpity bump

JoGra

Bump! 
Just ran into this, please add it- without it any Debug/Release builds are a mess to setup. 
I need it for custom device development!

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

It's not that much of a mess to setup.

It's just (very, very) silly we have to.

(I am on your side and I did kudo this idea.)

nanocyte
Active Participant

The status of this idea needs an update as you can't really call this teenaged idea "new" anymore