LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
DancingDeveloper

Compound Arithmetic Function - "Greatest" and "Least"

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

It'd be nice to have a compound arithmetic function of "Greatest" and "Least" which will output the largest or smallest of the input values. It could look like this but with re-sizable input nodes. 

Also, I think the top way is the best way to find the greatest in a set, but let me know if there is a better way. 

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Either of these work for you?

Untitled.png

Calling Array Max & Min is way more efficient than sorting the array. Finding the max is a linear operation. Sorting is O(n log n).

The Min & Max is not growable, which is what you requested, so it isn't a direct answer to your ask, but it's closer than your current workarounds.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

There is a subtle difference between Array Max & Min and Max & Min. Max & Min will return the min and max of the individual elements, where Array Min & Max will check the first element, and when there are equal values, check the next element.

So a compound min, compound max or compound min & max would add some value.

Min Max.PNG

An alternative Array Min & Max (or option in current function) would also add a bit of functionality (and probably some confusion).

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

wiebe: Change modes.

Untitled.png

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Thanks, I did not know that (or I forgot about it).

Actually, I often want the compare elements mode, but the Array Min & Max doesn't have such an option... So a scalable Compare Elements Min & Max is not available.

Min Max 2.PNG

Not that I need this that often... A .vim would be easy to make.

But back OT, a compound function for min and max would not be terrible (as long as it has Compare Elements\Compare Aggregates option).

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.