LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyGa

Cloud LV version Migration Service

Hi !

Often dealing with old code it's always a pain to install old versions of LabVIEW to get the code compiled the newest LV version.

For example, porting code made in LV 5.0 implies converting first to LV 7, then convert to LV 2009, and finally convert to LV 2013.

You then have to install these version, licences, ...

It would be nice to have a service on NI.com website from which we could send a zip archive containing the project to convert.

Then selecting the target LV version, a could service could unzip and compile the code across all versions of LV to have the code matching the requested version.

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
10 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

It is called the Version Conversion Board.Smiley Tongue

In your situation, you can open up the code from LabVIEW 7 in LabVIEW 2013.  So there's one step you could eliminate.

And code that is that old that is being upgraded is really due for a rewrite anyways (at least all of the ones I have converted do).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
PaulG.
Active Participant

I like this idea. If it were automated and part of an NI services it could be seamless to use and maintained by NI. Old code isn't necessarily due for a rewrite, and/or maybe nobody wants to invest the time or money to rewrite it. It might need a few "tweaks" or it has developed some driver issues that need repaired. I can think of a dozen reasons I would want to update an application to a more current revision of LV without needing to rewrite the entire application.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
CyGa
Active Participant

Hi CrossRulz,

My idea is close to the Version Conversion board, but would imply these very important points :

• Privacy : 'none' except the user and NI can access the code. I can't let code I made for customers to be availbale for others.
  • It would be fast thanks to the machine
  • It would not rely on people generosity
CLA, CTA, LV Champion
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I know it isn't the direction that you want, but maybe he can do the same for the upconverting: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Version-Conversion/Online-Down-Convert-Tool/m-p/2740834

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
JÞB
Knight of NI

My idea is close to the Version Conversion board, but would imply these very important points :

• Privacy : 'none' except the user and NI can access the code. I can't let code I made for customers to be availbale for others.
  • It would be fast thanks to the machine
  • It would not rely on people generosity

Privacy:  I think you could trust the humans on that forum more than a faceless cloud serviceSmiley Wink  A Report to moderator will wipe the attachment away from public access fairly quick.

Speed:  The average solution on the forum thread is really really zippy Plus you have a subject matter expert in the loop to coach you through any missing items, clear points of concern, etc.....  A cloud service would only tell you "Conversion Failed"  Perhaps with a report 95% of users would not read anyway.

Generosity of people:  Here, you and I may have a large gap in ethos.  If the forum did not work I would reconsider my personal belief that; in general, people are generous.  The conversion forum DOES work.  This may not be incontroveratble proof that my belief is correct but, it does tend to support the position. Smiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
PaulG.
Active Participant

I 2nd zyl7's privacy concerns. We might be OK with it, but a customer may not be. And if for some reason my boss wants it done NOW I would rather this service be automated and available 24/7.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Mads
Active Participant

I miss this functionality too, but I would rather be able to connect to a cloud service that let me actually work in each version of LabVIEW...as upconversion might not be a good solution (for example if I need to edit a piece of software running on old hardware that would not support newer LV versions, and/or would require a lot of work to be compatible with newer versions).

Making LabVIEW itself a cloud-app that I could use from anywhere, and have updated and configured with the same toolsets etc. as my team. would be wonderful. A whole history of versions and configurations could be made available...from the frist such "online enabled" version - and forever forward. So when LabVIEW 2018 comes out I could choose to use it instantly the next time I logged on...or I could start working on some code in good old LabVIEW 2015...:-)

This thread gave me another idea as well though, about automating the creation of new volume license installers...Off to the VLM board!

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Making LabVIEW itself a cloud-app that I could use from anywhere, and

> have updated and configured with the same toolsets etc. as my team. would be wonderful.

Be careful what you wish for. Adobe went that route with Creative Suite (Illustrator/Photoshop) and lost some of their smaller shops in exchange for guaranteed revenue stream from larger customers and reduced pirating.

Mads
Active Participant

We're not pirating, and we're probably not that small either with 10 LabVIEW licenses....(Could have had use for 20 if it was cheaper...) - I'm not sure what the typical number of licenses per company is for LabVIEW(?)

So that does not sound too scarySmiley Wink, but I agree that it might be bad for other reasons, recruitment/community size for one. If the price tag was not increased I do not see why small shops should stop using it though (my gut feeling would be that few people pirate LabVIEW...but you probably know more than me about those numbers).

CyGa
Active Participant

The idea developped here is far away from a LabVIEW Cloud version. I guess it could be another idea posted on the forum.

The reasons for this idea are motivated by privacy, speed and easiness needs.

If the service only replies 'conversion failed' I maybe indeed frustrated but I'm used to develop apps with LV FPGA so I think I can handle it ! Smiley Happy

CLA, CTA, LV Champion