LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Harlequinade

Close project without saving

Trade off between the small use case where this functionality would be beneficial and the likelihood that somehow would accidentally use this functionality are too imbalanced. The frustrations of someone accidentally using this functionality are reason enough not to implement it.

Often I have to open quickly a project see how things are done and close it. Sometimes due to different LabVIEW versions or small changes, it ask to save the project. It first takes time to search for which files have been changed and proposes to save them, which is often not wanted.

I regurarly use the shortcut ctrl + w to close the project, but it would be nice to close the project without saving the files. And thus save much time.

Other proposals only relate to close a VI without saving or the Do Not Save Option, but are too limited to single files and the revert option already functions well.

Suggestion

- use ctrl + shift + w or ctrl + alt + w to close a project without asking for saving and discard changes in project and VIs in the project immediately.

5 Comments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

I would suggest against this. I tend to get twitchy in the afternoon while coding on my 12 cup of coffee and I would throw my computer out the window if I accidentally hit the hot key for Close Without Saving. I am a big fan of that little Window prompting me "Are you sure you want to do this?" to help keep me sane. I think the time saved from the hot key would be completely offset by the furious users that accidentally hit the hot key at the wrong time.

Harlequinade

Sure, I understand your point. But the fact that LabVIEW would support it, doesn't mean you have to use it. Smiley Tongue

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

No, but it means that you might fat finger your keyboard and trigger it. And at that point, you can't help using it. 🙂

This is an idea I would definitely vote to kill. Throwing away work is a big issue, and all this saves is the clicks on the Don't Save button. Not a good tradeoff in my opinion.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Trade off between the small use case where this functionality would be beneficial and the likelihood that somehow would accidentally use this functionality are too imbalanced. The frustrations of someone accidentally using this functionality are reason enough not to implement it.
Harlequinade

My main frustration is that loading and killing projects which contains LVOOP classes takes very long. Upon closing there can be a delay between 5 - 15 seconds before it even asks if I want or don't want to save it. Though the computer specs are really good (i7 950, 12GB mem, SSD).

The whole power of LVOOP programming is that you have many classes and thus many projects. The way I do it now quickly is by killing labview.exe directly in the task manager and start the new project and canceling to revert. That's the fastest way of stopping without saving, which is a bit insane.