From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacemdom

Clearer LabVIEW app icons with versions

Change the current LabVIEW app version icons used with one clearer. Included in attachement versions 2009 to 2017 (just in case ni wants to use it in the new version 🙂

Also included the photoshop used to create them. Personnaly I not only find them clearer but also prettier!

2017-01-24_16-37-38.png

16 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We are banned from making free-form modifications to our trademark images. We continue to look for better ways to represent the numbers in the icon, but the particular modification you suggest creates legal problems if we ever got into a trademark dispute (or so I'm told by our lawyers... IANAL so I'm just the messenger). We have specific modifications of the main trademark that are also trademarked... we use the simplest of those in the icon for recent versions of LabVIEW to accomodate the version number.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined
jacemdom
Active Participant

What was once made to protect, now inhibits evolution and growth...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

More like, "The requirements of one system always affect the liberty of another related system."

jacemdom
Active Participant

I totally agree, the protection requirements of the trademark are affecting the liberty of the icon to be clearer, thus preventing it from evolving 😉

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Sorry... let me rephrase. I wasn't trying to be funny. I was trying to more specifically state the nature of the problem in a more neutral way that avoids implying that the US government was somehow incompetent in crafting this legislation. This is not an oversight or burdensome ill-thought regulation but rather a deliberate design decsion in trademark law.

jacemdom
Active Participant

I know you weren't trying to be funny, I was the one amusing myself with the words.

I am not implying anything or blaming and certainly not pretending to know anything about the intricaties of trademark laws.

I just don't like the current icon, as simple as that! But this is not really an issue for me because I change the icons when I install LabVIEW, was just trying to share 🙂

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I see. Thank you for clarifying. My humor detection module is faulty today.

Mads
Active Participant

The number on the icon is definitely not clear enough to easily distinguish between the versions, which is the whole point of it. I can understand why the particular icons are rejected (they were nice and clear though, putting the main focus on what separates them), but not the idea as a whole.

If the number of pixels at disposal for the number is too small to make the text stand out (having to read partially identical text in itself is not the optimal differentiator anyway), perhaps other or additional means could be used, involving shape and/or color. The advantage of having the number there is mainly that you can identify the exact version without any context, but the latter is not necessarily a must have.

jacemdom
Active Participant

I encourage everyone to use the icons I provided as they please. I always have at least 2 versions of LabVIEW on my PC and they make it much easier to distinguish beteween. Or use the photoshop provided and create your own, or create completely new ones and share them here, maybe I will also use them 🙂

The change is to fast and simple not to do it 🙂

Rigth-click shortcut > properties > Shortcut > Change icon voilà! 10 sec per version and no more putting the eyes in zoom mode 🙂