cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff-P

Change the color of different classes in the project explorer

Currently all classes in the project explorer are the same blue color:

same color.jpeg

But it is possible to change classes color on the block diagram, both wires and objects in the following window:

view editor window.png

It would be nice if you could change the color of the classes in the Project Explorer to easily differentiate between different classes, for example

same color editted.jpg

The second class from the top has been changed to differentiate it. This would be nice when I have a lot of classes in my projects.

15 Comments
GregSands
Active Participant

AQ wrote:

In the current project context, that color change would/should indicate a new file type.

Where else in the project does a color change indicate a new file type?  I see it more like this:

• picture indicates the file type
  • overlays convey additional information (e.g. locked)
  • color is used by the programmer

AQ Wrote:

I hope someday to add interfaces, traits and generic/template classes to LabVIEW. Won't happen any time soon, but each of these would likely be some sort of colored cube.

Interfaces and traits could be represented by overlays on the cube, and a generic/template class could intuitively be shown as a wireframe cube. I don't see those additions as preventing an alternative use of color.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Where else in the project does a color change indicate a new file type?  I see it more like this:

A change in the color is a change in the picture, as far as I'm concerned. It's not the same picture if it's a different color. I'm listening to the discussion here because I'm open to changing this, but I don't think viewing any change to the image as equivalent to changing the image is that unusual.

GregSands
Active Participant

AQ wrote:

> Where else in the project does a color change indicate a new file type?  I see it more like this:

A change in the color is a change in the picture, as far as I'm concerned.

OK, substitute the words "the particular object (not the same as an OOP object) which is drawn (but not including its color)" for "picture" -- it's just semantics.  I still cannot think of an example (in LabVIEW or elsewhere) where a new file type is conveyed solely by a color change.  So if the underlying contribution of this idea is the statement "change in color != change in picture", then I'm all in favor*.

* Always bugs me not to be writing colour and favour! Smiley Mad

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Can we incorporate different colours in a way which won't require changing the "picture" because this I feel would be a great additiont o the project.

RogerG.

Hi,

did something happen in the meanwhile, about this costumizing project icon thing?

Big projects are getting pretty confusing.

I am using virtual folders to split between groups,  but I am not satisfied with that. :manmad:

Projektausschnitt.png

Cheers