From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

Certification Should Not Expire, they should be linked to a LabVIEW Version

When your certification expires, do you instantly forget everything you knew? Of course not.

I think the Certifications should be tied to a LabVIEW version. That way, there's an "implied age" to one's Certification (if they haven't taken a newer one), but you are still allowed to produce the Certification on cards, job interviews, etc.

CLAD logo Idea.JPG

Richard

12 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Sorry for the gi-normous picture! I forgot to size it, then time ran out. Smiley Tongue

Richard

NitinD
NI Employee (retired)

This seems like a good idea to me, however a quick check through other professional certifications and most seem to have an expiry date associated with them, and a recertification. Wonder what is the wisdom behind it.

a.p

I think the only reson for recertification is compatibility with new version of LabVIEW. Then why not attach version on the certificate.

This is a great ideaSmiley Happy

nagarajahc

Even I feel its a very good idea.

Pachi
NI Employee (retired)

While I like your idea, I don't think that expiry or not makes any difference to the light in which your proficiency is looked at. If you tell me that you were a CLD 4 years ago, but that certificate has expired, I will still consider you a credible LabVIEW programmer and keep in mind that you might not know the very latest in LabVIEW. 

I might sound a bit pessimistic, but I'm just trying to see the other side of the fence to weigh this better. I still like the idea, nothing wrong with it. Kudos!

Prashanth N
National Instruments
VikramkumarP
yes its good idea..
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

nagarajahc & vikramkumar, etc, I appreciate the comments. If you like the idea, remember to hit the Kudos button to the left of my "Rush" icon up there. That's how the Idea Exchange "works" Smiley Happy

Richard

WG-

@NitinD the wisdom comes from the magic word money.

Further I totally agree with this idea. 

Karsten_Dallmeyer
But these days you get a new labview version each year. And the differences between 2009 and 2011 are minimal for certification aspects. Do you want recertifications every year? Even if there are minimal changes? good old 8.x times 🙂 one version for several years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) / CLA / MCTS
upadhyaani
NI Employee (retired)

I like the idea.And I totally support it.Robot Happy