LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BerndF

Case Structure: Simply deletion of cases

Duplicate of https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Easier-handling-of-Case-structures/idi-p/3787384
(The other idea is newer, but it also has 4x more kudos than this one)

When one has to delete several cases from a case structure (for whatever reason) it would be fine to have the possibility to delete the desired cases within the "Rearrange Cases" dialog window

Case_Del.png

5 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

I don't think we need that. Case frames contain real code, and I would rather not delete a case unseen from a popup window.

Remember, we already have a lot of other tools, e.g. "right-click, delete empty cases", etc.)

(Also, the suggestion seems incomplete. If you want to allow deletion, you would also want to allow adding new cases for symmetry. Suddenly we'll end up with a dialog with the complexity of the event configurator. 🐵

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

I wrote a Quick Drop plugin that helps manipulate Case and Event structures.  You can read more about it here, but here is the feature list:

• Select a case in the CaseSelect window and it comes to the front in your Block Diagram
  • JKI State Machine states are indented in the Tree control
  • CaseSelect window floats and can be resized
  • Open multiple CaseSelect windows at the same time to work with more than one Case Structure
  • Select a case with the mouse or navigate the Tree using arrow keys
  • Insert & delete states with Insert/Delete keys or context menu (Insert suggests new name based on section header)
  • Reorder cases with drag/drop
  • Ctrl+drag/drop to duplicate a case (suggests new name based on section header)
  • Collapse/expand all tree elements with context menu
  • Sort cases alphabetically (preserving the section headers of a JKI State Machine)
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

fabric
Active Participant

There is a big need for better tools for working with cases and events. jcarmody's QD plugin gives a taste of how much easier life could be. Many of these functions should definitely be part of core LV.

A delete function may not be first on my list of improvements, but it seems like adding that possibility here would be both simple and useful.

beob

Very good idea, would saves a lot of mouse clics. I use numbered case structures for sequences to process.

Hotkey to delete selected case will be appropriate too. (Shift + Del?)

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Duplicate

Duplicate of https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Easier-handling-of-Case-structures/idi-p/3787384
(The other idea is newer, but it also has 4x more kudos than this one)