LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FallGuy

Case Statement slider

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Add slider, scroll bar, search to case diagrams.  Move slider to selection vs starting at top of list. This helps when we have a large case statement. See attached jpg file

5 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

I have never had a situation with so many cases, so I never encountered this situation.

Your idea description is a bit too brief to reall tell what you actually want. Can you elaborate on your word "search"? Is it a third thing you want to add?

What version of LabVIEW are you using? If the case list exceeds the size of the screen, a scrollbar with slider should definitely appear. If not, I would consider it a bug.

FallGuy

I am using labview 2010 sp 1. 

1. On the search - provide right click on case, select search, as I type letters then the case should move to best match. Something like a goto the case vs scrolling to locate.

2. The slider does not appear on right side but a down arrow appears at bottom (or up arrow at top) to scroll.  What I wanted was a "Windows style" scroll bar on right side of selection with moveable marker.  Therefore I could move the slider faster.

3. If my current selection is toward bottom of list (off page) then the selection starts with the 1st case.  This results in me having to push the down arrow until I get towards bottom of list to select another item close to current selection.

4. On rearrage cases add a delete option.  Allow muliple selections - example shift-select & cltr-select.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Duplicate:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Case-Structure-Navigation/idi-p/1160707

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/scrollbar-in-case-structure-list/idi-p/1398110

Also, look at this Case Structure plugin for the JKI RCF.  It does what you want.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Not only is it a duplicate but it has already been done (although not native to LabVIEW).

I agree with jcarmody - get the case selector tool! If you use a string for the case selector and have empty separator cases then you can even collapse and expand sections. Separator cases have ten dashes, a word, and ten more dashes. A picture explains it better.

Say you have these cases:

Cases.png

Activating the case select tool on a selected case structure brings up a window that looks like this:

Case Selector.png 

You can click on a case name in the case select tool and the case structure will automatically change to that case. This tool also has a scrollbar. You can even drag the case names to reorder the cases. This tool alone makes the right-click framework worth installing.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.