LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Calendar control that does not block the GUI

If you click on the calendar button of a date & time control all updates of the user interface and all functions that happen to run in the user interface thread are halted/blocked.

This is, as far as I know, because the calendar is really an ActiveX control...We need a native control that does not show such behaviour (especially considering the fact that things like the run method is running in the user interface thread...).

It is quite ugly that such a fundamental control as the date & time control depends on code that will block the GUI. 

32 Comments
rolfk
Knight of NI

I'm pretty sure it doesn't really call that VI. Otherwise optical changes to the VI should show up. What I think happens, is that there exists a copy of the front panel resource of this VI in one of the LabVIEW resource files and that is what is loaded and used by the internal LabVIEW dialog handler in the C++ code. Not that it makes a significant difference. Calling a dialog directly from within the C code and handling its UI interaction from there would anyways involve the root loop somehow.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Rolf wants to get all technical. Yes. There's another copy of the VI. It's still exactly the same VI with no differences. No, we do not call a C++ dialog that looks like the VI. There's just the VI.