LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MimiKLM

Bundle by name cluster should automatically inherit the names of the inputs

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi,

I think that it would be useful if the Bundle by name (cluster creation function) could automatically pick up the names of the inputs as the default names of the members of the cluster being created (if other are not specified)

Example:

Capture000.PNG

6 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Actually I don't think this is the same as the suggestion discussed in the other thread (which specifically refers to back-propagation).

Here, the suggestion is to not require a constant to use a Bundle By Name primitive. Clearly the resulting wire is going to get somewhere and therefore its output will be connected, but this is usually a secondary step.

Let me illustrate this with another example of what doesn't make much sense in the current situation:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.01.21.png

Here the "output" is connected to a Variant type, so there is no possible back-propagation of information.

Now, notice that if I replace the Bundle by a Bundle By Name, there is no ambiguity for LabVIEW:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.01.49.png

Well, sort of... It does generate a "Void wire", which is, as a reminder:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.27.06.png

It probably comes from the fact that the "Named" cluster is not fully defined yet (it could conceivably have other as-of-yet unshown components).

All right, let's fix that by forcing the creation of a constant defining a named cluster from the SHOWN inputs (as suggested in this idea). Let's select the "input cluster" terminal (the center terminal of the object) and choose "Create constant". After all, there is a "Create constant" menu item, isn't there?

Unfortunately LabVIEW looses its wits on this one. Here is the well-known result:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.02.12.png

How useful is that? Not very.

In essence, the expected behavior from a user's point of view is that suggested by the OP.

We'd like this:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.04.11.png

where the cluster is iconized, but is the cluster you would expect:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.34.24.png

MimiKLM
Active Participant

That's right X..

Of course we are talking here about automated way, which means LV generate this constant cluster for me at the run-time.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> which means LV generate this constant cluster for me at the run-time.

I'm ok backing the reverse generation if the user were to right click and say "create constant". But I don't want it to be automated. I like that the input is broken... too often I would have forgotten to wire in an instance of my typedef with Bundle, leading to problems down the line. It's one of the reasons I like Bundle By Name.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I wished I had kudoed this idea. Now we will see it pop-up in a different disguise down the line.

Someone may want to look into developing a shortcut plugin for that:

1) start from an unnamed bundle

2) right-click and "Replace with Bundle by Name with Constant"

3) Voila!