LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moderator1983

Bundle/Unbundle By Name function with 'Hide Full Name' selected by default

Whenever I place a Bundle By Name (or Unbundle By Name) function on the block diagram, it is configured to Show Full Names. But while creating the cluster, I provide descriptive names to each element and so I want that every time when I place the Bundle By Name (or Unbundle By Name) function on the block diagram, by default it must be configured as Hide Full Names.

Unbundle function

I know, my wish is not what everybody else wants to have, so better solution to this could be a selectable option (perhaps categorized in Environment setting).

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

13 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but clusters don't have shortened names.  They just go by label names.  So first we would have to somehow define what the short names would be.  Seems to me like you just need to make the labels of your cluster elements be the short names in the first place.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

He is showing a nested object with dot notation.  Short names only show the label of the control itself. 

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

cluster.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Ah.  I learned something today.  I can go home now!  I ddin't realize you could directly access subcluster items in the bundle/unbundle.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
moderator1983
Active Participant

Sorry for being less descriptive.

Please refer to the attached picture:

More Description

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

@moderator1983 wrote:

[...] 

I know, my wish is not what everybody else wants to have, so better solution to this could be a selectable option (perhaps categorized in Environment setting).

I'd like it your way.  Perhaps the full name could appear in a tool-tip text when you float over it.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

moderator1983
Active Participant

jcarmody:

I like your idea of having full name displayed in a tip strip... Smiley Happy

PWEC

I just ran into this same issue, has it been implemented?

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

> I just ran into this same issue, has it been implemented?

AFAIK, no. The idea would have been set to " Implemented", and it isn't.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Not implemented. Honestly, I doubt it ever gets implemented -- just flipping the default would be a quick change, but I don't think that would be a good setting for a way too many users who use these dotted elements... I've seen too many mega clusters-of-clusters which have repeated elements over and over again. Adding it as an environment setting is obviously straightforward, but it's time that would be hard to justify the ROI.