LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos

Built in sniffer for VISA

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

When working with serial, tcp or some other odd communication protocol I find myself time and again working on a PC that either has nothing installed, can't install anything or is sitting behind a secured environment. Nor is there always a scope with analyzer readily available to trace the commands being sent & received to an instrument or DUT.

Can't parts of Wireshark or an another sniffer be built right into the Probe Watch functionality? That would be sweet.

P.S. VISA's "Interface Information:Interface Type" has a lot of variations that many devs likely don't even know about as they just drag a VISA onto the BD/FP.

3 Comments
Active Participant

Seems you are looking for NI I/O trace (previously NI Spy). It don't know exactly what packages it is installed with, but it does what you want.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)

Yes, your right! I had completely forgotten about "NI Spy" as it's a bit buried in the menus. When using it there was a significant speed impact though.

Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

DNatt, NI