LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
FixedWire

Built in sniffer for VISA

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

When working with serial, tcp or some other odd communication protocol I find myself time and again working on a PC that either has nothing installed, can't install anything or is sitting behind a secured environment. Nor is there always a scope with analyzer readily available to trace the commands being sent & received to an instrument or DUT.

Can't parts of Wireshark or an another sniffer be built right into the Probe Watch functionality? That would be sweet.

P.S. VISA's "Interface Information:Interface Type" has a lot of variations that many devs likely don't even know about as they just drag a VISA onto the BD/FP.

3 Comments
andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

Seems you are looking for NI I/O trace (previously NI Spy). It don't know exactly what packages it is installed with, but it does what you want.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
FixedWire

Yes, your right! I had completely forgotten about "NI Spy" as it's a bit buried in the menus. When using it there was a significant speed impact though.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.