LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Build Application Installer should download and install Run-Time Engine if necesary

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no major feature development planned for the Installer build spec in the manner that would be required to implement this request.

Note that the requested functionality is provided by the Package build spec when building a Package Installer.

Problem

When creating an installer for my built LabVIEW application, I really dislike having to choose between including the RTE installer (and having a 100+ MB installer for my application) or not including it (and requiring my users to download and install the RTE as a separate step).  Typically, I'll build two installers at the same time (with roughly duplicate build settings): a full installer w/ RTE and a light installer w/out the RTE.

Proposed Solution

What would be much nicer would be if my app's installer were able to download and install the RTE, if necesary.  Actually, this is common practice, these days, for users to download a small installer that then downloads larger installer files behind the scenes.

19 Comments
rex1030
Active Participant

Look at that. I was just about to post this idea but you beat me to it a long time ago, lol. Kudos!

I think it should not only be able to download the run-time engine, but any drivers the program needs. That way if you build a 2MB VI into an application it doesnt become 164MB for you to try to distribute to a client that has an internet connection.

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
labview4steve

I think what would be better would be only install the files that the EXE use instead of the entire runtime library as a further option. Obviosly if you are intending to send the client multiple Exes then they are better at installing the entire runtime, but if its a once only then a tick box to include all runtime code that is used this should make it small

jlokanis
Active Participant

If you like this idea, check out this one too:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Installer-should-check-for-runtime-engine/idi-p/129338...

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
SnowMule
Active Participant

An option for installing the latest version via an internet connection is a great idea... but I deploy some software overseas where internet access is limited, let alone fast enough to download 100+MB files in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, if I deploy a package on the manufacturing floor here and the installer has to go out and fetch the latest version on every machine, it'd be faster to download the file once and install it off a disc.

Internet update is great, but keep the option to install the files from a local volume (Optical drive, mass storage, or network share). 

Solutest-Brice_Blanc

That is a great idea waiting for an installer that gathers only what is required by the executable to open and run!

La solution test et mesure
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

Note: For segmenting the LabVIEW Run-Time Installer, give this post from Wirebird Labs a thorough read:

https://connect.wirebirdlabs.com/knowledgebase/articles/172999-segmenting-the-labview-run-time-engin...

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

altenbach
Knight of NI

One possibility would be to have a new selection under "additional installers" when defiining an installer build.

For example instead of including the run time engine directly, we could have a checkbox to substitute a lightweight "runtime downloader" instead.

Now we still have all possible options (1) include nothing, (2) include run time, (3) include runtime downloader. The typical NI downloaders are less than 200k.

Another option would be to include the NI updater with the installer, which needs to be made smart enough to detect missing run time engines and download them automatically. For example if it is installed with a built application, that application needs to register its needs with it, even if the updater is already running.

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant

What is the age of maturity on LabVIEW Ideas? 6 years seems good, no? Updates?

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no major feature development planned for the Installer build spec in the manner that would be required to implement this request.

Note that the requested functionality is provided by the Package build spec when building a Package Installer.