LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ale914

Block Diagram zoom

In the latest years the monitors and the graphics card became more and more advanced supporting very high pixel resolution.

Using a 1600x1200 is common now but this could create problem whit labview due to the absence of a zoom function.

The VI connector at that resolution are too little and near so could be difficult to work with and more in general all the block diagram of a VI could be diffucult to edit.

So i suggest to implement a zoom in\out (maybe using the mause wheel) function also in labview like in a common CAD sw

Alessandro Ricco
5 Comments
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

I often wish I could zoom out when viewing someone else's block diagram that is bigger than my monitor size. I understand that it would be difficult to see the smaller components, and editing would perhaps not be feasible, but it would allow you to see the 'overall structure' of the code without having to continuously pan around.

I can see how zooming in would prove useful occassionally too, especially for things like the connector pane when using a lot of terminals.

P.S. I know the Navigation screen can be used to approximate some of this functionality, but it's not interactive and doesn't show highlight execution animations.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
There's already a suggestion for this here.

oops sorry
Alessandro Ricco
ajk68

Pan and Zoom would make it so much quicker and easier to move around a large block diagram, especially one that is larger than the screen.

Some may argue that if you use proper modularity and hierarchy, block diagrams shouldn't get too big.

That argument is specious. I have found many cases where proper hiearchy requires the block diagram to be bigger than the screen. Otherwise, I would end up creating meaningless levels of hierarchy where the functional abstraction is quite unnatural.

Laura F.
Active Participant
Status changed to: Duplicate