LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Diagram Cleanup should replace any Stacked Sequence Structure

we correctly recommended that the SSS be removed from the Structures Palette.   Let's go one step further.   Default Block Diagram Cleanup to apply the existing "Replace SSS with FSS."

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
5 Comments
Proven Zealot

There are legit reasons for wanting a stacked sequence structure -- that's why a flat sequence structure can still be converted into a stacked sequence in the right-click menu. Since you cannot drop the stacked sequence from the palettes any longer, anyone who adds one has done so deliberately and explicitly, and cleaning up the diagram undoing an explicit setting like that would be unlikely to be appreciated.

Knight of NI

There are very few legitimate reasons for the SSS.  (You may recall, I was one of its last hold-outs arguing for keeping it)  anyone bright enough to use that correctly is certainly aware that the structure can be excluded from Block Diagram Cleanup with a single right click. 

Proven Zealot

very few != none

And, based on conversations at 2019 NIWeek, no, I would not assume even half of LV users know that individual structs can be excluded from cleanup. It's weird what hits with customers and instantly becomes part of The Cultural Knowledge and what just lingers on the edges.

Knight of NI

@JÞB wrote:

we correctly recommended that the SSS be removed from the Structures Palette.   Let's go one step further.   Default Block Diagram Cleanup to apply the existing "Replace SSS with FSS."

Stephen,   we have to chat more often!

That is an empirical punctuation < !!=!>

Active Participant

Anti-kudos... One day the BD cleanup tool may be able to learn my coding style sufficiently well to allow me to focus exclusively on function, but that day feels a long way off. For now I believe good LV code is about both form and function, and the cleanup tool just can't match the form of a good human. At best it is a quick way to tidy up a small amount of code that was thrown together in a hurry. On larger code chunks it just tends to de-optimise the layout.

IMO the idea of the cleanup tool swapping out structures based on some "universal style definition" just feels wrong!

--
Chris Virgona