From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jyang72211

Better way to insert node without breaking wire

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi all,

We need a better way to insert a node in a wire without breaking the wire.  Right now, if we put the mouse cursor a little bit below the wire, right-click, insert, select the node that you want to insert, and insert, we can insert the node without breaking the wire, but this current method has too many steps.  What if I already have the node on my block diagram and I just want to copy that node and insert it in a wire without going through the pallatte? 

It will be nice when I move my node while holding down shift+control and the node overlap a wire, the wire will just connect the the node automatically.

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
5 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
What's a good way to tell it which node to connect to? For instance, a SubVI with 4 DBL inputs and 4 DBL outputs... which get connected when you hover over the DBL wire?
jyang72211
Active Participant

The feature should try all possible wire connection as you move across the wires.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
Darren
Proven Zealot

There is a LabVIEW 2010 feature that helps with Insert operations, and doesn't involve the palettes.  😉  Sign up for the beta and let me know what you think.

-D

Tom_Hawkins
Shift+control is not a good choice of modifier keys as it's already taken - dragging a node while holding shift+control constrains its movement to horizontal or vertical and makes a copy when you release the mouse button. Apart from that, reasonable suggestion. I'm not in the beta programme so I'll have to remain in suspense as to what the 2010 feature is...
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.